Mock exams

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
saffronLondon

Mock exams

Post by saffronLondon »

Hi
We had booked for a mock exam when DAO in Potters Bar did CEM VR. Now they do GL VR.
Is it still worth sitting the CEM mock exam or shall we cancel and lose the money?
Any advice appreciated!
Daogroupie

Re: Mock exams

Post by Daogroupie »

When did you book and was the mock advertised as a mock suitable for DAO?

DAO announced that they were moving to GL VR in January almost six months ago.

If it was advertised as a mock for DAO then you should be able to get your money back. DG
ariadne

Post by ariadne »

My son sat a non-specific mock, and it was useful to get him used to what a formal exam looked like - his first "real life" experience would otherwise have been the GL 11+ proper. For us the importance was practising exam conditions in general and pacing himself in general rather than the specific question types. We didn't have the option of an exact mock in exam conditions. We used a CEM revision book to practise for the GL in addition to the GL familiarisation materials, and honestly I couldn't tell you that they were noticeably different.

So I think it could be useful anyway. The main difficulty for DS in preparing for VR was to get his vocabulary richer, which is mainly achieved by reading widely rather than practising exam questions.

Best of luck.
saffronLondon

Post by saffronLondon »

Thank you for taking the time to answer my query.