CCHS CEM Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SuperDad3g

CCHS CEM Exam

Post by SuperDad3g »

Does anyone have any idea how much NVR is included in the CCHS / CEM exam? How important is NVR to passing the CCHS exam? What percentage of exam preparation time should be spent on it? I don’t particularly enjoy teaching my daughter NVR, and she doesn’t really understand how she’ll apply the knowledge in real life. She’s asked the question a few times: “Dad, what’s the point of me learning all this NVR?” Thanks in advance.
hermanmunster

Re: CCHS CEM Exam

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't know about the CCHS exam but found this bit of an explanation about NVR
Verbal and Quantitative scores are fairly good indicators of ability and prospects on the literacy and numeracy fronts, while the Non-Verbal Reasoning ones identify the ability to recognise similarities, analogies, patterns and relationships of a more general type, and to analyse and solve complex problems without relying on or being limited by language skills.

So, while not subject-specific, NVR scores are good indicators of the sort of operational intelligence that will underpin many academic subjects and careers.
Worth telling her that it is the basis for how you understand lots of other subjects
SuperDad3g

Post by SuperDad3g »

Hermanmunster, thanks for your very insightful reply. Yes, it does make sense now why NVR is part of the 11+ selection process. The information you shared will help me encourage my daughter to work on her NVR. Just wondering, though, how much time to spend on NVR, as opposed to Vocab, Comprehension and core Maths skills?
SuperDad3g

Post by SuperDad3g »

Any insight from parents whose children have sat the CCHS exam on what proportion of the exam is dedicated to NVR?
veryhopefulmum

Post by veryhopefulmum »

Sorry but I think its a fair amount to be honest. I think you will have to persevere with - even more so if you are out of catchment.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Although a major point of the CEM exams is not to be predictable, so e.g. 20% one year could be 5% the next, etc
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

A couple of years ago, it was 31 questions in 9 minutes. So pretty tough going. Speed and accuracy definitely required and that is what the school is looking for in the girls tested.
SuperDad3g

Post by SuperDad3g »

Thanks Blitz. My goodness. 31 questions in 9 minutes! That’s brutal!
RedDevil66

Post by RedDevil66 »

SuperDad3g wrote:Thanks Blitz. My goodness. 31 questions in 9 minutes! That’s brutal!
Get lots of timed practice in
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now