Bucks appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ammum

Bucks appeal

Post by ammum »

I've read lots of useful information on this forum over the past few months, though I haven't posted. DS failed the 11+ by a couple of marks, and was unsuccessful at selection review. I have decided not to appeal. Although the review process was not demonstrably 'fair, consistent and objective' in a number of regards, support from our HT is simply not warm enough for us to put together a strong case on 'academic ability' and 'prejudice to the school.'

When I was deciding whether to appeal, I got hold of a couple of pieces of information under the Freedom of Information Act. Etienne mentioned somewhere in the appeals guide that it would be helpful if a parent could get hold of information on the number of successful appeals for a school which has opted out of the Country appeals system, which I've done. I've also obtained HT selection review scores by primary school in the Chilterns/S Bucks area for the past five years. Which was very interesting reading and informed my view of the objectivity of this whole process. Unless I'm missing something obvious, I think only moderators can attach documents to posts. But I'll send these to the appeals inbox, and if any of the moderators think others might find it helpful, perhaps the whole documents, or extracts could be posted or otherwise used to help others.
Etienne

Re: Bucks appeal

Post by Etienne »

Thank you very much for sharing, ammum.
Attachments
FOI ResponseDCGS.pdf
Pre-appeal information requested from DCGS
(471.12 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
CSB Recommendations 2015-19 entry.xlsx
HT selection review scores by primary school in the Chilterns/S Bucks area 2015-2019
(26.4 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
Etienne
South Bucks Mum Of 3

Post by South Bucks Mum Of 3 »

Thank you so much ammum. This is incredibly helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to share this valuable intel. Some parallels with our situation. We are going into the appeal process eyes wide open and with no expectations - particularly in this ‘bulge year’. I will share our key insights and learning when we’re through the other side.
Sebs

Post by Sebs »

Thanks for sharing this info. It is indeed an interesting read. I wonder if it would be ok for parents to use the recommendation sheet at the hearing if it is relevant to their case? Are they likely to be questioned about the source of the document or is this document in the public domain somewhere?

Sebs
TNM47

Post by TNM47 »

This is really useful information - you have the stats for the private schools - do you also have for the local state schools?
sidj15

Post by sidj15 »

Thank you very much for this information. I am working my way through a 12+ appeal and this is useful in terms of building a picture.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now