Mindthegap appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mindthegap

Re: Mindthegap appeal

Post by Mindthegap »

So this applicant didnt put the school down originally. And if it's a grammar you arent allowed to do that. 12 months ago when we said who we wanted to share our scores with we put every grammar school as we were specifically told you can only apply for schools that you had put down to share your scores with which makes sense as otherwise the rankings would be meaningless. Does this make sense? Not sure how it would be ok to totally bypass this rule?
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

During the Crypt debacle last year, Crypt were activily encouraging candidates to appeal who would have qualified or nearly qualified but hadn't originally shared their result with crypt. And I assume many of them received places. So, I'm afraid there is a clear precedent that Glos schools can do this.
authormum

Post by authormum »

It doesn’t make sense to me at all. If they didn’t share their results with the school, they would never have been ranked within the cohort sharing with the school, which is surely equivalent to not having sat the test for the school? Are they confused and maybe shared but didn’t put on the Caf?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Maybe, or maybe they sat the test late, or maybe there's a provision to allow you to share late and be classed as a late applicant. It's not impossible that a mistake has been made, of course, but it's not very likely.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

But merely asking for your raw scores to be shared with a school isn't the same as applying for a place. That only occurs when you actually name the school on your CAF and I suspect that lots of people share with all the schools of the relevant gender, then only apply to the one or two where their DC has the highest ranking / the only one s/he can sensibly get to and from etc. Or make a late application - possibly they thought, erroneously, that their DC's ranking made getting a place very unlikely? Or they had the school in question on their original CAF but at a lower ranking than the school they were allocated and they have changed their minds / had to move and have requested a change of order of preference?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

This applicant only shared with one school that wasnt Ribston. Didnt sit test late. Yes I remember Crypt ladfvyear. I know someone who hadnt qualified for any of the grammars but at the very last minute got offered a place at Crypt.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

It says on the Ribston website "your daughter cannot be considered for a grammar place until she has a test result". Which implies that once she has a test result she can be considered.

I would imagine that if you don't share at the outset you can't be considered for an on-time application, but if you want to make a late application to the school it will use the result of the test you initially sat and you will be considered with others who are on the waiting list.
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

Ok that makes sense. Thanks.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Anyone can make a late application to any school - if it is a late application to a grammar school, they have to have sat whatever entrance test is deemed admissable. They would then sit on the wait list at whatever position that score ranked them. The risk of not naming a school initially on your CAF and making a late application is that there are NO spaces left. The person obviously made the late application at a point beofre the appeals had all been heard and decisions made, and where there was a space below PAN - if they were sitting at the top of the waiting list, they obvioulsy scored more than your child and are therefore entitled to a place ahead of them.

You can apply late to any school and do the same, if you choose, but the chances are most schools will be full. I don't see that the school has done anything wrong, I'm afraid.

cross posted with you!
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

But this was during the month of March when there were no spaces and how do they qualify for the school without a ranking?