Mindthegap appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

streathammum

Re: Mindthegap appeal

Post by streathammum »

Why do you think there were no spaces in March? Is there a different system in Gloucester?

In my area, places are offered to the waiting list as soon as they become available, and most of them become available during the month of March.

March is after offer day, so if they got a place during March it would have been from the waiting list, so quite possibly was the result of a late application. They would have used the rank they got following the test they sat last year. I don't understand why is this bothering you so much.
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

Because this case didnt follow the rules. It bothers me because of that!!! I'm not going to explain it all again. They hadnt put the school down so didnt have a ranking. If you dont have a ranking how can you get s place. How can they determine where you go on the waiting list or if you qualify if you dont have a ranking? It bothers me because we have done everything we were told to do or not to do and the rules just dont seem to apply to everyone.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Because, if they sit the test - however late - a ranking can be calculated against the cohort who also say the test. If it happened in March, there like be spaces, there always are after NAD.

This is replicated all across the country. It’s hard to hear that someone who sat late obviously did much better than your child as they leapfrogged over them on the wait list, but their is nothing illegal or immoral about it.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Could you not just drop into conversation, in a casual sort of way, Congrats on the Ribston place, btw. I thought you only asked for your DD's score to be shared with Pates and Stroud High, though? and see what they say?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

It is immoral cos it breaches the rules.
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

I didnt intend to go on about this particular situation and it doesnt affect us but ive just felt that we have been told these are the rules and they them change.

Anyway I will leave it now.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/educ ... ry-school/

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/medi ... 9-caf.docx

The above document includes the following information:

Grammar Test Information:

If you are applying for a Grammar school place and have not previously taken the test, please note the following:-
• You must complete and submit this application form to us by midnight 8th March 2019.
• After this date you will be contacted direct from the grammar school, via email, with details of how to apply to register for the grammar school test.
• From Noon Tuesday 12th March to Noon Thursday 14th March 2019, the grammar test online registration form will be open. It is important that you register between these dates as if you do not register your child will not be able to sit the test.
• Monday 18th March 2019 is the late test date. Information regarding this will be sent to you directly from the schools.

If your child has previously taken the test but you did not request the test score to be shared with other schools, you can now do so by adding the school/s to this form.

• You cannot apply to go on a Grammar schools waiting list if your child has previously taken the test and did not qualify to be considered for a place at that school. You do, however, have the right to appeal, please see our guidance booklet for further information.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

So it categorically ISN’T immoral then....?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:So it categorically ISN’T immoral then....?
More to the point, it isn't contrary to the county's admissions arrangements, which, in their turn are not contrary to the Admissions Code.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Mindthegap wrote:Because this case didnt follow the rules. It bothers me because of that!!! I'm not going to explain it all again. They hadnt put the school down so didnt have a ranking. If you dont have a ranking how can you get s place. How can they determine where you go on the waiting list or if you qualify if you dont have a ranking? It bothers me because we have done everything we were told to do or not to do and the rules just dont seem to apply to everyone.
I hope that you have seen from the replies above that no one has acted immorally, or been treated differently or unfairly. People can join the waiting list late and be in a higher position than you if their score is better.

I hope you're now able to let this one go.