How many hours a week for 11plus prep ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

decision

How many hours a week for 11plus prep ?

Post by decision »

Hello!

Please can you advise me how many hours a week your child worked on 11plus work in year 4 and then year 5 ? It would also be useful to know how time is spent on school homework and with tutor.

Also can anyone advise me for the Birmingham schools is the 11 plus at the level of the 10-11 ten minute test books ?

Many thanks
decision

Re: How many hours a week for 11plus prep ?

Post by decision »

* cgp books (ten minute)
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Every child is different. We didn’t really do anything in Y4 as we felt that it’s too young, and 2 years worth of prep is overkill and can be stressful for the child - they can also get bored with it. Just concentrated on firming up times tables, reading books and a little bit of familiarisation with NVR.

His school didn’t really have homework - no more than 30 mins a week.

Had a tutor for about 3 months in Y5 which was a 2 hour session once a week. Realised we could do the same at home, so didn’t continue with a tutor and did online and books ourselves. He probably did 2 hours a week in total, but maybe around 20 minutes in a day, and not every day. Towards the end / over the summer holidays it was a bit more and we also did mock exams at home.

Sometimes you find if they need a lot of tutoring / extra work then they will struggle once at a GS.

Can’t emphasise the need for reading lots and lots to increase vocabulary, and try and do a variety of genres.
bewilderedofbearwood

Post by bewilderedofbearwood »

Hi. As Helen says every child is different. For us it was nothing in year 4 and a tutor for the best part of a year (apart from school holidays). Tutor was 1 hour a week and tutor homework built up very slowly to 1 hour a week. No school homework. DS is an avid reader though and this may have done him the most good whilst not being seen as homework!
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

I have to agree with what I've read so far.

My DS (started the February of the entrance test) did a couple of hours a week. He was home tutored by myself. The CGP books worked a treat. He isn't that interested in reading but did some at times.

However, during the 6weeks we did step it up a bit and started giving him the test papers....and constant feedback.

My second DS (Started a little earlier due to him being born in August) is coming towards that same stage now where I'm slowly stepping up the work.

Key thing is not to pressurise them.