Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sulikhan

Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

Post by Sulikhan »

Hi all
this is the question

A bottle contains 150ml juice.Alex drinks 50%more thank Jane and these two friends finish the bottle between them.Calculate how much Alex drinks.I am struggling with this one.in the mark scheme it shows ratio
3:2 .I don't know how that can work.Any help pls

Many thanks
ToadMum

Re: Dulwich maths (paper e)Please need help

Post by ToadMum »

Sulikhan wrote:Hi all
this is the question

A bottle contains 150ml juice.Alex drinks 50%more thank Jane and these two friends finish the bottle between them.Calculate how much Alex drinks.I am struggling with this one.in the mark scheme it shows ratio

Many thanks
Alex drinks half as much again as Jane. So if Jane drinks one unit, Alex drinks one and a half units. Or, to turn Alex's share into whole units, if Jane drinks 2 units, Alex drinks three.

So you have a total of 5 units - divide 150 by 5...? then turn the 3 portions / 2 portions into actual amounts...?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sulikhan

Post by Sulikhan »

ToadMum wrote:
this is the question

Many thanks
Alex drinks half as much again as Jane. So if Jane drinks one unit, Alex drinks one and a half units. Or, to turn Alex's share into whole units, if Jane drinks 2 units, Alex drinks three.

So you have a total of 5 units - divide 150 by 5...? then turn the 3 portions / 2 portions into actual amounts...?

hi again

many thanks for the reply.i'm not quite sure how forums work as it's first time doing it.

thanks again
but what about the other 2 friends who have finished it????
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sulikhan wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
this is the question

Many thanks

hi again

many thanks for the reply.i'm not quite sure how forums work as it's first time doing it.

thanks again
but what about the other 2 friends who have finished it????
Um...

Assuming that's actually a genuine question, these two friends are Alex and Jane? i.e. the two people who have just been named.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yes

Post by Yes »

By the way... Reading the questions for the first time,I had the same question - who are these two other friends who finished the bottle.... :lol:

As for the solution - diagram, as usual, is our friend.
Draw Jane's glass as two squares, then Alex' glass will be 3 squares. Here is the ratio from the answer
Last edited by Yes on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gg234

Post by gg234 »

If i do in algebra

Jane = x

Alex = x+x/2 = 3x/2

Total = 150ml

3x/2 +x =150

If i simplify my equation x=60

So alex one is 3x/2 = 90ml

I hope this will help
Sulikhan

Post by Sulikhan »

gg234 wrote:If i do in algebra

Jane = x

Alex = x+x/2 = 3x/2

Total = 150ml

3x/2 +x =150

If i simplify my equation x=60

So alex one is 3x/2 = 90ml

hi

thank u very much. it really helped

I hope this will help
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would definitely draw a diagram to work this sort of question out. KS2 children would not be expected to go straight to algebra and the diagram really helps understanding of the question.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now