CSSE written comprehension strategy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SuperDad3g

CSSE written comprehension strategy

Post by SuperDad3g »

My daughter tends to write long sentences in answering written comprehension tests, which I believe is a waste of precious time! I’ve tried to encourage her to use brief answers, especially for 1 mark questions. However, she tells me that at school they are being taught to use full sentences. The trouble is some of these full sentences tend to include repeating the question! Does anyone have examples of best-in-class written answers to comprehension questions, and any helpful tips they’d like to share? Is it really necessary for children to use full sentences in their answers? Keen to hear from parents currently preparing their children for the exams and those who’ve already been through the process, as well as any teachers / tutors on this forum. Thanks in advance.
Tictoc

Re: CSSE written comprehension strategy

Post by Tictoc »

You are right.... long winded sentences that repeat the question are not necessary. It is a test of comprehension...not grammar. She can save that skill for the writing element of the 11+ test.
:D
RedDevil66

Post by RedDevil66 »

SuperDad3g wrote:My daughter tends to write long sentences in answering written comprehension tests, which I believe is a waste of precious time! I’ve tried to encourage her to use brief answers, especially for 1 mark questions. However, she tells me that at school they are being taught to use full sentences. The trouble is some of these full sentences tend to include repeating the question! Does anyone have examples of best-in-class written answers to comprehension questions, and any helpful tips they’d like to share? Is it really necessary for children to use full sentences in their answers? Keen to hear from parents currently preparing their children for the exams and those who’ve already been through the process, as well as any teachers / tutors on this forum. Thanks in advance.
The problem is that they are often taught and conditioned in school to write in complete sentences in order to focus on grammar and syntax. 11+ often requires to get straight to the point. Some indy schools ask for complete sentences but I haven't seen this in 11+ generally.

Practice and more practice with timings will demonstrate to her that quick answers are required. Look at the points value of each question. Is it a 1/2 or more points question.

E.g. Look at this inference question.
Do you think the houses on the street are generally well looked after? Why do you think this?

It requires evidence from the text. Now look at the sample answer(s) given.

No because it says it ‘wasn’t uncommon’ for rubbish to overflow from the wheelie bins on the street.

No as it says ‘nor was it particularly strange to see curtains permanently drawn’ which suggests that people neglect the appearance of their houses/ rubbish often overflows on the street and people don’t open their curtains which shows people aren’t that bothered about their houses

Neither starts with ' I don't think that the houses are well looked after because...'

Hoe that helps
SuperDad3g

Post by SuperDad3g »

Thanks Tictoc and RedDevil. Very helpful insight.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now