Holiday for group of 16 year olds

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nyr

Holiday for group of 16 year olds

Post by nyr »

DS and his friends, all boys aged 16, are half-way through their work experience placements and, under instructions from the head of Y11 to have a fun summer, are now contemplating a group holiday in the UK. They want to do outdoorsy stuff, such as sailing, hiking, biking, etc but they have run into a couple of problems. All the campsites, chalets and hotels they've looked at so far need at least 1 adult on the booking and there is the question of travelling to the holiday destination without a car.

Does anyone have ideas for how this can be made to work?
Tinkers

Re: Holiday for group of 16 year olds

Post by Tinkers »

Many years ago, my sister and a couple of friends went on holiday after GCSEs. They stayed in youth hostels in North Wales and planned to walk between one and the next. They travelled there and back by train. One phoned a parent every night, and that parent tod the other parents they had safely reached the YH that day (days before mobiles).

I’m not sure of YH rules have changed but might be an option?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

We have just been through the same thing. In the end my dd and her friends have just done day trips and camping but their friends were able to book a YH stay despite their all being 16.
We couldn't find any hotels that would let them book without an adult present.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Somewhere like Barmouth in North Wales is readily accessible by train from the Midlands (a long but extremely scenic journey!) - we used a large seafront house booked through friends which my daughter organised (although it was a nightmare with people dropping out last minute). However I did arrange to be there myself in the background - I had friends stay with me there as well for a couple of nights each, and although I drove with a carload of initial supplies, most of DD's friends got there by train and they sorted most of their catering collectively. (we did organise the food for a "prom on the prom" as a couple of her friends had missed out on their own school prom and wanted to dress up for an evening)

I doubt many venues would accept unaccompanied 16-year olds (look at the bad publicity there's been about drinking in Newquay etc) and DD at 16 was happy enough to have backup. At 18 post A level she went back to the same venue with another group without me!

But if you have no useful friends with a spare seaside house (I think they've sold it now!) how about Youth Hostels? https://www.yha.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - several in outdoorsy places, accessible by bike/ train. Might be booked up for this summer though
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The Vacation Lodge in Newquay take 16-18 year olds and U16s in certain weeks when they have higher staff ratios on. They have a good reputation and some friends kids are there now and having a great time (weather good!)

Some campsites accept 16 year olds - South Wales is one that lots I know have been to.
nyr

Post by nyr »

The boys have already done some day trips and activities around London and are now looking to get away from their families for a few days. My guess is they won't have access to a friends or family holiday home so it seems it'll have to be camping in Wales or a hostel - YHA or something like the Vacation Lodge - in an area accessible by train/coach with maybe a walk or bike ride for the final stretch.

I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something obvious about booking accommodation for 16 year olds travelling independently, so thanks for the responses and tips.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

there are places in Cornwall/Devon, mostly thinking about surfing, that will take 16s
IncyWincy

Post by IncyWincy »

YHA accept 16 year olds, my daughter has just been with a group of friends. I spoke with a member of staff and she actually said that they have had younger people stay independently. The rules on their website say that under 16's need to be accompanied by an adult.

The stayed on the south coast and travelled by train, the station was right next to the hostel.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

PGL do activity holidays upto 16/17 if that is an option and they have some good deals, though sounds like they want to do something more independent...

https://www.pgl.co.uk/en-gb/adventure-h ... o-60-off-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DD announced a few months back she wanted to go inter railing after her A levels with a bunch of friends...she is currently doing it and having a great time...amazed at how they have been so organised and have made it happen.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My DD is set on inter railing next summer after her exams - she has got one friend interested but the rest are more 'where's the beach'. I think it would be great - I enjoyed it when I went at the end of 1st year uni.