BHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mumoftwo

BHS

Post by mumoftwo »

Hi all, newbie here.

Can anyone please give me any information on the Birkenhead High School entrance test.

I believe it consists of-
Verbal reasoning
Maths
English.

Any more info on this would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.
bestpossibleoutcome

Post by bestpossibleoutcome »

I have a daughter in year 9 at Birkenhead. From memory, the English tests were a comprehension and a writing test (essay). The VR test consisted of more questions than the 11+ and with less time allowed to complete the test but the questions may have been slightly easier (this was my daughter's opinion at the time). The maths test included work covered in year 6.

I hope someone with more up to date knowledge also replies because I would hate to give you misinformation. Best wishes for the test and if you need to know anything further ask away and I'll do my best.

BPO
spital_parent

Post by spital_parent »

My daughter sat the Birkenhead High School for Girsl exam this year. The exam does consist of a verbal reasoning, maths and English (essay & comprehension). If you ask the school they should give you more information. My daughter passed and was offered a place. We also successfully appealed for a place at Upton - so she has decided to go there - good luck
kathryncambridge

Post by kathryncambridge »

Appreciate that the conversion to state-funding appears necessary thanks to declining numbers. But given an ability to select only 10% on the basis of talent in music... its a comprehensive. Expect to see 5-6years of decent results while the selected intake filter through the system... followed by rapid deterioration, as parents of bright children will favour Upton/West Kirby/Queens now.

Irritated by the claims of "support from parents and staff" - sure existing parents will be supportive as the impact on their children will be less and they wont have to pay - and staff will support if its this or closure.

Birkenhead High School Comp - how sad. Here's hoping West Kirby manage to maintain their grammar school status.... and that Birkenhead boys dont suffer a similar fate. Perhaps they can avoid by opening up completely to girls - and maintain private status and ability to select?

Kathryn
wirralnumbers

Post by wirralnumbers »

Kathryn

Please don't expect a sensible debate in this forum.

Not all parents are supportive. I cannot put into words how angry and upset I am that the school has betrayed us.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

mumoftwo:-I way I understand it now you don't need top take an exam anymore to get in as from September 2009 it will be a non-selective (except for 10% music) all-ability school.
If you're looking for Independant selective education then Birkenhead Boys now take girls.
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

There may still be an examination for academy schools. Belvedere school has one so that it can select children in equal numbers from different ability groups.
guest42

Post by guest42 »

Wirral also has Kingsmead and Mostyn House..though they both make Birkenhead seem cheap!!
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/Minute/public/ ... _27492.pdf

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/Minute/public/ ... _27487.pdf

Interesting documents on the impact of the proposed Birkenhead High Academy on existing failing schools and how the Academy status here does not fall within the normal characteristics of most academies.

"6.3 The Council can achieve an input into the development of the proposed new Academy by
becoming a co-sponsor with the GDST, although to date the GDST has not expressed any
interest. A more indirect involvement can be achieved by the LA leading on the procurement
of buildings for the new Academy."
guest42

Post by guest42 »

Interesting documents. One thing is absolutely clear. One maybe two secondary schools on Wirral are going to get closed in the next few years.

If I had to put money on it I would go for Rock Ferry
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now