Holiday dilemma

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
saffronLondon

Holiday dilemma

Post by saffronLondon »

Hi
We go away for a week on the second week of August. My husband is keen on DS revising during the holiday whilst I recommend doing nada! Who is right? Surely he's not going to forget everything in seven days??
Any advice welcome
Ricky74

Re: Holiday dilemma

Post by Ricky74 »

Let him enjoy his holiday I say!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I am in the Nada group tooo - enjoy the hols and come back refreshed
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

A rest is good, chance to recharge.

If your DH absolutely feels your DS must do some work, keep it low key, maybe one of those 10 minute tests once a day. Maybe over breakfast or some other down time. Certainly don’t let it interfere with doing the things you’d be doing,
Jam

Post by Jam »

Hi
We had the same dilemma last year with the same difference of opinion. We adopted Tinkers advice: 1-2, 10min tests after breakfast and then no mention of the 11plus. I don’t believe my DS would have forgotten anything in a week but it was a compromise that kept DH happy and DS didn’t mind as it only took 20 mins of an otherwise fun-packed day. I wish you well as it’s a challenging time.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Definitely nada.

If your husband insists, you could play scrabble or yahtzee, or you coukd all ignore him!
Hera

Post by Hera »

We had a week's holiday at the start of the Summer and a week in the penultimate week with DD3 and didn't do any preparation whilst on holiday. The exam was the first week in September. We did do prep over the other 4 weeks.

We did take a book with us for the first week but it never made it out of the suitcase.
saffronLondon

Post by saffronLondon »

thanks everybody for taking the time to respond!
walidal

Post by walidal »

One week should not affect the exam results. If anything, it will recharge and replenish the child`s battery. My daughter last year was taken to London end of Aug for 4 days, and it did her the world of good. She passed her grammar exams. The word 11+ and any work associated with the exam were completely banned during this short holiday.

Another friend took her daughter to Spain for a week, mid Aug, and she passed at the score she was hovering around during the summer preparation.

Having said that, another friend, who had an able son, went overseas for 3 weeks. Her son was a whisker away from passing.

In short, and in my opinion, 1 week should be fine.

We are taking our younger daughter overseas for about a week end of July, before we honker down for a final focussed push during the summer holiday.
saffronLondon

Post by saffronLondon »

Sound advice much appreciated.