Grammars for non-sporty boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
boysinoaks

Grammars for non-sporty boys

Post by boysinoaks »

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with sending a not very sporty boy to any of the north west Kent grammars? We're looking at Judd, Skinner's and TWGSB, but they all seem to have such a competitive sporting culture - particularly the super selectives. My DS is bright, but more into science and the arts. No skills (or interest) whatever on the playing field! He enjoys squash, tennis, climbing etc, but not team sports. I'm wondering if culturally they're just not going to be a good fit for him? Would love to hear from anyone with experience at the schools mentioned and whether he'll be lonely/miserable at such rugby focussed schools?

Thanks!
doodles

Re: Grammars for non-sporty boys

Post by doodles »

Both my ds are Skinners' boys and although they are heavily into rugby many of their friends aren't. Many other aports are positively encouraged - tennis climbing basketball and hockey are just a few - and there's lots of art drama and music too. It most certainly isn't a school solely for the rugby player.

Please do pm me if I can help.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

My DS are Judd boys. Like at Skinners there are lots of opportunities for boys who are not sporty. I believe that one of the school's strengths is that there is a niche for everyone. Do not worry.
boysinoaks

Post by boysinoaks »

That's very reassuring! Thank you both.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Just to add, I also have a non-sporty boy at Skinners, in Year 7 now, and he loves it too. There's no stigma to not being good at team sports and lots of other things to do. He did play in a few rugby matches to start with (they have teams A-F and sometimes G in Year 7, to give lots of people a chance) but his lack of aptitude must have started showing.
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

My current Y10 Skinners' boy spent his whole Y7 and 8 trying to avoid any sort of physical activity whatsoever :lol: He is flying academically but isn't sporty in the slightest, and that's not a problem at all. There is a huge range of boys - some sporty, some not - and the school tease out of them what they ARE good at - as long as they try that's the most important thing.
KHmummy

Post by KHmummy »

My son is Yr 11 at Judd and doesn’t have a sporting bone in his body.

He did try rugby, cricket and cross country but didn’t excel in any of them and it hasn’t caused him any problems at all.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now