BRGS Admission Clarification

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OverEagerDad

BRGS Admission Clarification

Post by OverEagerDad »

Hello All,

Quick question if any more experienced forum goers can answer.

Having not grown up with any exposure to 11plus and Grammar Schools I now find myself with a DD moving into Juniors and the whole concept of grammar schools is now on my radar.

So I know she is only 7 so I am not going to start the prep early, but I am going to sneakily start with concepts, like word search puzzle books and fun games for her tablet.

Anyway, the question I have is for BRGS and their admissions. We are in the catchments area, in zone 2 rather than 1. IF my DD does go for the 11plus and passes, does being in catchment zone 2 mean she will get precedent over all OOC no matter what score they get?

Thanks All
OverEagerDad

Re: BRGS Admission Clarification

Post by OverEagerDad »

Also, is there anywhere to get the stats on how many OOC offers were made each year, I am wondering if everytime someone from OOC is offered a place then it follows then that I do not have to worry about the numbers since I am in catchment so we really just need to look at the 11plus not the number of people taking it.

Thanks
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm afraid I don't know the school, and hopefully someone will come along with local information. However the admissions criteria should make it clear how OOC children are dealt with. The admissions criteria should be on the school website.
scary mum
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

Thanks I took a look at the website and it is there plain as day ;) For all who passed, ranks by score then by area. So for me as long as DD passes she will have priority over OOC. Just need to find out how many times an OOC pupil was offered a place.

Thanks again
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The school or the local council should be able to give you that information. If necessary you could do a Freedom of Information request.
scary mum
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

Thanks Scary Mum, I put a FOI in to Lancs CC, let's see how we get on!!
Orange Apple

Post by Orange Apple »

Hi OverEagerDad
My son took the 11+ last year and starts in September (we are OOC) If I remember correctly we were told that after the exams had taken place, a pass rate would be set and any child within catchment areas 1 and 2 that passed would be offered a place.
The remaining places then get offered to children OOC who have passed the test, however these are then ranked. So for example if the pass rate allows for 120 children within the catchment area being offered a place the remaining 60 places will go the top 60 ranked OOC children and any other OOC will be put on the waiting list.
You have to pass to be offered a place no matter where you live.
Hope this makes sense
Orange Apple

Post by Orange Apple »

Also with the new CEM exam, I would say the earlier you can start to introduce new vocabulary the better, it’s difficult to cram that sort of stuff in. The exam board changed the April before the 2018 exam so wish we’d had more time to look at vocab it’s much richer than seemed to be used in the GL exams.
Daviessar

Post by Daviessar »

Last year the pass mark was 99.5.
Tier 1 got a place. Because fewer than 180 tier 1 reached that mark
Tier 2 got places. Because fewer than 18p tier 1 and 2 reached the mark,
Out of area were then given places in rank order. Not sure what the out of area pass mark was, but know lots of kids in the low hundreds out of area who didn't get places. The proportion of out of area kids varies from year to year, sometimes as much as half the places. I know an out of area child whose family has moved up from Derby because they secured a place! The highest mark I'm aware of was 128.6. Not sure what the max mark is.

Although the test is the same one as some of the Trafford grammars, the marking scheme and scores differ from school to school so the same child may be given a score of 120 for brgs, and 150 for a Trafford school for the exact same paper.
Daviessar

Post by Daviessar »

Last year the pass mark was 99.5.
Tier 1 got a place. Because fewer than 180 tier 1 reached that mark
Tier 2 got places. Because fewer than 180 tier 1 and 2 reached the mark,
Out of area were then given places in rank order. Not sure what the out of area pass mark was, but know lots of kids in the low hundreds out of area who didn't get places. Also v bright tier 1 kids who got marks of 99.2 and no place. The proportion of out of area kids varies from year to year, sometimes as much as half the places. I know an out of area child whose family has moved up from Derby because they secured a place! The highest mark I'm aware of was 128.6. Not sure what the max mark is.

Although the test is the same one as some of the Trafford grammars, the marking scheme and scores differ from school to school so the same child may be given a score of 120 for brgs, and 150 for a Trafford school for the exact same paper.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now