Commuting from Colchester to Southend

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
seemsaqua

Commuting from Colchester to Southend

Post by seemsaqua »

If anyone here is considering commuting from Colchester to Southend/Westcliff schools, please feel free to pm me. I have been shot down on this forum before for bringing up this topic, but back again as I am happy to have a chat with anyone considering the commute. With my child finishing Y7 in a week at Southend grammar, I would say it is certainly doable!
SuperDad3g

Re: Commuting from Colchester to Southend

Post by SuperDad3g »

Wow! First of all, congrats on your daughter getting into SHSG. Encouraging for those of us who are working towards this! Our first born will be writing her 11+ exam this September. I wonder just how commutable it is from Brentwood to Colchester? Any parents here with this experience? Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SuperDad3g wrote:Wow! First of all, congrats on your daughter getting into SHSG. Encouraging for those of us who are working towards this! Our first born will be writing her 11+ exam this September. I wonder just how commutable it is from Brentwood to Colchester? Any parents here with this experience? Thanks
Brentwood - Shenfield - Southend Victoria - bus. About an hour.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SuperDad3g

Post by SuperDad3g »

Southend Victoria to Colchester? Isn’t that the wrong way?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SuperDad3g wrote:Southend Victoria to Colchester? Isn’t that the wrong way?

Oops, sorry, misread as to SHSG.

Brentwood - Shenfield - Colchester- bus or long walk.

Brentwood - Shenfield - Colchester Town - bus or a slightly less long long walk.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Brentwood to Colchester Town Station then walk up Lexden Road - bit of a schlep when carrying loads of stuff and if you've got a musician on your hands, yeah, no.
SuperDad3g

Post by SuperDad3g »

Thanks ToadMum. Roughly, how long is the journey door to door from Shenfield to Colchester Girls? 1 hour?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SuperDad3g wrote:Thanks ToadMum. Roughly, how long is the journey door to door from Shenfield to Colchester Girls? 1 hour?
Google's various suggestions all seem to be around 1 hr 5 - 1 hr 10.

Chelmsford County High is a lot easier to get to from Shenfield, btw
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

Over an hour unless there is bad weather, engineering works, points failures, a suicide on the tracks or heavy traffic in Colchester. In which case all bets are off.
SuperDad3g

Post by SuperDad3g »

Thanks All. It sounds like Shenfield to Colchester commute is certainly a bit too far! I wonder if there are any parents on this forum whose children have actually done this commute? Would like to learn from their experiences.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now