Bucks GL exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SIT

Bucks GL exam

Post by SIT »

My DS is taking the new GL style exam in Bucks this September. My older 2 children took the exam, however it was the CEM format then.

I have lots of books for the CEM exam at home, does anyone who sat the exam last year know how it differed from CEM?

Are the timings more relaxed for GL ?

What types of VR came up last year?

What types of NVR came up last year?

How many questions were there in the comprehension and cloze and roughly how many minutes ? I remember from previous experience that the CEM timings were very tight.

Many thanks - fro ma concerned and panicked parent
Deb70

Re: Bucks GL exam

Post by Deb70 »

Hi. I had one DC sit CEM Bucks in 2016 and another did the GL last year.
GL use the established styles of VR questions that the have always used, so children need to be taught how to answer them, as there's a "way" of doing them that must be learnt beforehand.
The NVR timings are 10 questions in 5 minutes, so pretty impossible.
NR is OK as long as they're good at maths!
My advice would be check they know how to answer all the VR question types and practice timings/strategy.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Note that what came up last year won't necessarily be an indication of what will come up this year.
scary mum
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

They did give the timings and how many questions in each section, plus the test order, in the info from Bucks so the children will know what to expect.
NotPerfectMum

Post by NotPerfectMum »

my DD passed the GL 11+ last year. As far as I know, GL questions are all multiple-choice type. My DD's tutor said the timing for GL is much more relaxed than CEM, and my DD felt comfortable to complete all the questions within the time given. As types of VR and NVR, most of the questions are similar to the ones in GL Assessment 11+ Practice Papers (published & revised by GL assessment in 2019 so it should be very similar to the test format, you can get them from Amazon or GL Assessment website), on their website, there are also free materials you can download)

test content removed by a moderator
SIT

Post by SIT »

This is really helpful advice, thank you.
SIT

Post by SIT »

NotPerfectMum wrote:my DD passed the GL 11+ last year. As far as I know, GL questions are all multiple-choice type. My DD's tutor said the timing for GL is much more relaxed than CEM, and my DD felt comfortable to complete all the questions within the time given. As types of VR and NVR, most of the questions are similar to the ones in GL Assessment 11+ Practice Papers (published & revised by GL assessment in 2019 so it should be very similar to the test format, you can get them from Amazon or GL Assessment website), on their website, there are also free materials you can download)

test content removed by a moderator
We are going to a well known tuition centre in Chalfont St Peter and the company have given my son lots of the CGP 10 minute tests, first past the past and the CGP Practice Books with Assessment tests - do you think these are good as well? I will definitely order the GL ones which you recommended.
patricia

Post by patricia »

SIT wrote:My DS is taking the new GL style exam in Bucks this September. My older 2 children took the exam, however it was the CEM format then.

No they are not relaxed. However we know the timings for each section.

Test 1

25 minutes for Comprehension and SPAG
20 minutes for VR

Test 2

20 minutes for NVR and Spatial
25 minutes for Numeracy

This information cannot be given as children are still taking the same test.
How many questions were there in the comprehension and cloze
Amount of questions will vary. Timings see above.

See the first post in the following link

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=53382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
SIT

Post by SIT »

patricia wrote:
SIT wrote:My DS is taking the new GL style exam in Bucks this September. My older 2 children took the exam, however it was the CEM format then.

No they are not relaxed. However we know the timings for each section.

Test 1

25 minutes for Comprehension and SPAG
20 minutes for VR

Test 2

20 minutes for NVR and Spatial
25 minutes for Numeracy

This information cannot be given as children are still taking the same test.
How many questions were there in the comprehension and cloze
Amount of questions will vary. Timings see above.

See the first post in the following link

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=53382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
Thank you Patricia
NotPerfectMum

Post by NotPerfectMum »

We are going to a well known tuition centre in Chalfont St Peter and the company have given my son lots of the CGP 10 minute tests, first past the past and the CGP Practice Books with Assessment tests - do you think these are good as well? I will definitely order the GL ones which you recommended.[/quote]

CGP 10 minutes test and First Past and Post are both good and helpful, especially First Past and Post math is good for identifying the weak area. My DD's tutor also gave her some of the Letts 11+ Success practice papers to do during the summer holiday last year. What we found the most helpful is to get my DD to expose practice papers by different publishers so she'd used to various question format.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now