Moving to Warwick...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jox548

Moving to Warwick...

Post by jox548 »

Hi there, we are contemplating a move to Warwick from Surrey and we have 2 daughters who have just finished years 5 and 7.

I've spoken to Warwickshire C.C. about grammar school admissions and if we apply now for my youngest, we would be considered a late applicant. My daughter would sit the 11+ some time in Sept (in a session after the on-time applicants) and - assuming we had an address in the priority area by 31.12.19 - we would go on to the waiting list and be considered in the second allocation of places (this is what I've understood at least!).

So - I've a tutor booked for Friday to assess her capability (she's a bright thing but lacking in confidence in some areas). I can apply to sit the test without a Warwick address - so that's fine.

What's the likelihood of her getting a place (preferred schools are Stratford Girls or Alcester) during that second round?

Our older daughter would need to sit an in-year test (would this be per grammar school?) and assuming she passes, she would go on to the individual school's waiting list.

Again, realistically how often do places come up mid year?

For my youngest daughter I would have to include at least one non-grammar school on my secondary school application in case she didn't get in. If we are living in Warwick, which would you recommend - we don't know the area at all.

For my eldest, I would have to make an in-year application to a non-grammar school while she waits for a grammar place to come up. So potentially a lot of change for her which is not ideal...

Any tips on cramming for an 11+ exam in 2 months?!

I appreciate any advice. Thanks so much. 
Tinkers

Re: Moving to Warwick...

Post by Tinkers »

I have moved your post to the Warwickshire forum as you should get a better response here.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The most likely secondary school in Warwick is probably Myton School - it's on the same road as the private Warwick School so a nice area, opposite the river, but I am not 100% on catchment for it - we know several people who go there and are very happy.

Your youngest is considered late as you missed the deadline for applying for the test which is taken early in Y6 - so although she would effectviely take it around the same time as everyone else, on the basis of missing the deadline you are late - and then where you live comes into play as well. The South Warwickshire Grammars have a 17 mile priority area which are offered in the first rouns - you would then be eligible in the second round (although at that point it pretty much goes by rank/score) - so your youngest needs to score highly. Predominantly she needs to be very able in Maths plus have a very good vocab (and fast in both) and also you might need to practise Non verbal reasoning as this is something that you can improve with practice but is likely she may not have come up against it before. Shottery is usually harder to get into than Alcester Grammar (as in generally scores are lower) but it is all marginal and they are both exceptionally competitive - but not as bad as if you had boys and were trying to get into KES! But if you can get to AGS from where you eventually live then you should certainly put them both down on the CAF. To reiterate, she would need to be scoring well to be at the top/near the top of the waiting list after the first round of allocation - there hasn't been a huge amount of movement this year, for example.

W/r to your eldest - places do come up occasionally in year - possibly more frequently in AGS as it is a bigger school and co-ed - but, she would have to be a) at the top of the waiting list (so score above anyone still on it) and b) have a place come up - you could try asking the schools whether they are aware of any places likely to be coming up I suppose.

Read everything you can on here about the CEM test (also look at Birmingham area of the forum) as they use it too. The key is speed and accuracy - knowing that you probably won't finish it all but to try and get an answer for everything helps. It is difficult to do well at the best of times but you do have to be in it to win it, as they say. It's a hard time to be advising about schools as the best way to decide is to go and have a look round them and get a feels for it, but of course many of them close this week. Good luck.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Just to add, assumably the tutor you have booked to assess her capability is a Warwickshire based one, who (and this is VERY important) you have absolute confidence has a proven track record of tutees accessing the grammar system? I would doubt that one based in Surrey would have any real idea of the level needed/cohort ability for the Warwickshire exams.

Tutoring is a big business in grammar school areas and it it an unregulated service so please do heed buyer!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Warwick is split in half for catchments depending on which side of town you live. Myton and Aylesford are both good schools where high achieving, engaged young people succeed on a par with the grammar schools without the bus fare to Stratford. Myton also has an outstanding 6th form if that matters to you.

Unfortunately term ends on Friday, so you won't be able to visit before Sept. Both schools will have open evenings in the new year and Myton certainly does tours during the school day which you can book into. I would imagine Aylesford do similar.

My DD (just finishing year 9) refused to take the 11+ and is absolutely thriving in her chosen Warwick school.

JD
solimum

Post by solimum »

Is there any particular reason to live in Warwick town rather than Leamington / Stratford / Solihull / Knowle etc? (Just checking as sometimes people assume Warwick University is next door to the castle! )
Last edited by solimum on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

solimum wrote:(Just checking as sometimes people assuming Warwick University is next door to the castle! )
Ah, now I assumed JLR, Solimum ...

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

So did I, JD!!!
EJW457

Post by EJW457 »

Just a note on waiting list places. My daughter scored 212 last year and we were roughly 47th on the waiting list for Alcester Grammar beginning of March and we now have an offer. So there is a fair amount of movement. Also if your daughter scores higher then you will go in front of those on the list even if they did apply on time. Also last year they went to 65th on the waiting list for AGS by September.

Hope that helps
jox548

Post by jox548 »

Thanks for all your replies - I really do appreciate it. EJW547 - that's really encouraging - thank you.

The tutor has much experience in preparing children for the 11+ exam, but not specifically for Warwickshire, so I'm going to rethink that one.

Which books would you suggest using - First Past the Post? I've heard 11+ Leap also have some great materials.

We will rent to begin with, so are flexible when it comes to areas to live - favouring Warwick and Leamington so far.

Thanks again