Disappointed with SATs results- progress after 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Leighmum2019

Disappointed with SATs results- progress after 11+?

Post by Leighmum2019 »

We received DD’s SAT scores on Friday and we were a little disappointed- 115 (reading - was expecting closer to 120), 111 (SPaG- was expecting at least 113) and 111 (maths- we expected this). I’ll caveat this right from the start to say our DD wouldn’t have a clue- she’s had her usual end of term/good report treat and seems happy to have got over 110.

We have taken our foot off a bit since the 11plus and now I’m wondering if we should be focusing on securing all the year 6 stuff over the summer before she starts at a grammar in September?

No one in ‘real life’ to talk to about this without seeming like a mad, pushy parent.
doodles

Re: Disappointed with SATs results- progress after 11+?

Post by doodles »

No, let her relax and enjoy the summer holiday. As long as she's reading for pleasure and maybe playing some number or word games then I would let her be this summer, she will have a lot to deal with come September and needs to go into it as relaxed and chilled as possible. Have fun, do some silly things and make memories.

I say this as a mum whose youngest is going into yr13 in September and who is dealing with the reality that it all goes so fast and that they are only children for a very short time.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

God no, let her be a kid!! I'm assuming she had a tutor for her 11+ hence the discrepency between the scores?

SATS are a load of old rubbish anyway!
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

No. Just get her to read something off the reading list and get some rest before the new term.
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

There is nothing SATs related that you can do with her this summer that will in any way help or enhance her experience of starting grammar school.

Let her have fun, read for pleasure, meet up with classmates old and new. Let her draw and run and dance and sing.
KB

Post by KB »

It might be worth keeping things ticking over but, as everyone else says, only in a fun way.
Let her choose what she reads but maybe have some low key chats about whatever it is or even just about tv programmes or films.
For the 'maths' side of things try puzzles done as a fun family activity or involvement in any diy or such activities or planning trips on holiday where practical maths is needed.
Avoid 'questioning' or situations where she feels shes being tested.

Have a great summer!
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

Thank you for all your lovely, non-judgmental replies.

We do have a lot of DIY projects over the summer so I like the idea of getting her involved in those. I think some letter writing to grandparents etc may also be in order to work on her spellings- she’s lazy with those so I have no doubt that’s where she lost marks on that paper! The bonus with writing to grandparents is it often involves getting a reply with a monetary reward so shouldn’t take too much nagging!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

She did really well in her Sats, hope you have a lovely holiday.
Enjoy it, do all sorts of interesting things and make the most of the weeks between primary and secondary school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now