Trafford Consortium - Standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pollymum

Trafford Consortium - Standardisation

Post by Pollymum »

Does anybody know if the standardisation of the raw scores takes into account anything other than age? Do schools give more weight to the different parts of the paper (VR, NVR, Maths)?

Thanks
Mandy21

Re: Trafford Consortium - Standardisation

Post by Mandy21 »

As far as I understand the standardisation process, its just based on age.

Obviously the test itself, so raw scores, attach different weights to particular subjects - i.e. there are more Maths questions than NVR (so there's an automatic weighting towards maths ability).
Homebird

Post by Homebird »

As far as I understand each school in the consortium gives different weighting to different subjects of the papers- that's why children take one exam but achieve different scores for each school.
poppety

Post by poppety »

The reason that children achieve different marks for each school is nothing to do with each school weighting subjects differently - it is due to there being a different cohort sitting for each school.
Some children will ask for a mark for all four schools but some may just be interested in one of two schools.
Pollymum

Post by Pollymum »

Thanks Mandy21 and poppety - that reconfirms my understanding of the standardisation.

Homebird - some parents I know have said that they thought their child passed for one and not the other due to subject weighting but it seems to be a myth.
pen&paper

Post by pen&paper »

As far as I understand each school in the consortium gives different weighting to different subjects of the papers- that's why children take one exam but achieve different scores for each school
Homebird is correct.
It is definitely possible to pass for one school in the Trafford CEM Consortium and not another. Parents will receive different marks from each school. Standardisation is not just about a child's age, but that is taken into account - like it is for the Key Stage 2 Tests. Standardisation is a complex mathematical analysis of the raw scores using standard deviation for the different cohorts of students - as applied by CEM for the grammar schools (who all have different numbers of PANs).