One hour per day learning sufficient?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

saffronLondon

One hour per day learning sufficient?!

Post by saffronLondon »

Hi guys
My DS is doing papers/homework for about an hour everyday.
With only two months to go, do you think that is sufficient? I hear from other mums that they are doing two ( or even three!) hours per day with their kids.
Any advice welcome!
Tinkers

Re: One hour per day learning sufficient?!

Post by Tinkers »

More than enough. Unless it’s a very late start to the process. Children can only do so much at a time, and I’d have to question how productive working more than one hour at a time can be, especially if they’ve also had a full day at school. They are children and need time to relax too.

Quality not quantity is what is important.
Hera

Post by Hera »

A hour a day sounds plenty. We only targeted the South West Herts Schools. With DS at this stage we were probably doing a 10 minute test on a school days and 1 or 2 papers over the weekend and then 3 to 4 papers a week over the Summer Holidays. However we only started in the February of year 5. With DD1 and 2 we started gently much earlier so were more relaxed and didn't do anything for the 2 weeks we were on holiday over the Summer. They all did well.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Are you just sitting the SW Herts Test?

What papers are you doing and what sort of scores is he getting? DG
saffronLondon

Post by saffronLondon »

Hi
DS is sitting DAO as well as SWHerts exams and he's doing CGP practice papers as well as Susan Daughtery papers(GL).For comprehension practice, he's doing S&S KS2 book 4.
VR marks around 92%, Maths around 88%.
Is that a good mark I wonder?
He definitely isn't keen to do more than one hour a day!
Thanks for any feedback.
Balfron

Post by Balfron »

We are doing ten min test and marking in the morning and about 20 minutes in the evening. VR and Maths are consistently over 90% but the English for DAO is concerning. Have you seen the past papers? We’re working towards them but they’re quite robust!!!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO has the toughest English papers by far.

But remember you are only competing against 324 other students for what is usually around 120 slots as that rank has always ranked high enough for a space and sometimes it goes a lot further to the 130s, 40s and 50s.

Only 325 students will sit the English and Maths papers on Saturday 28th September.

Your rank comes from the combination of the three scores so very strong VR and Maths will really help you. DG
saffronLondon

Post by saffronLondon »

DAO past papers for English are daunting for sure! DS is pretty good at comprehension but average for creative writing. His prose never has much emotion in it, just action and drama!
Thanks everyone for their feedback.
Scorch

Post by Scorch »

Hi,

One hour a day is what we are managing too, a few 10 min tests and maybe a longer paper.

So with the South West Herts consortium there is no NVR or spatial involved?

I have downloaded the familiarization papers

http://www.swhertsschools.org.uk/famili ... on-papers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are these papers reflective of the real test, i.e. the format of test provided will be the same, just don't want any surprises, first time helping child with 11+. If I make sure he practices similar questions, then he should be okay?

What percentage should he be aiming for in both the Maths and Verbal Reasoning?

He is naturally bright and is the type that will not study too much.
saffronLondon

Post by saffronLondon »

DAOgroupie, can you please clarify something for me? I was under the impression that the top 65 children were offered the academic places at DAO. You have written previously that around 120 places are available. Am I misreading something? Do a lot of children not take up the offers?
Thanks in advance
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now