Multiple Queries about test and age for watford boys test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Watford boys

Multiple Queries about test and age for watford boys test?

Post by Watford boys »

Dear,
I have some queries about testing in watford Grammar school for boys admissions and test.
1)My son is 10 years old not 11 when he sit in test which is known as 11+test,did school give any marks for less age?
2)Regarding Test I am working on Math,english,verbal reasoning,non verbal reasoning(bond tests/GL).But on the test information site from watford grammar school it shows GL verbal reasoning and Math only which shows only 2 type of test,so i need to know did my son give 2 tests only as shown on site(Math and english) or he has to sit in 4 tests as explained above?
3)If i check 2 test as per site on school total marks are as below
math;50,english:80 in total 130 but on site of school its shows lowest score for academic test is 220 how?

hope so you understand my Questions but please anyone do reply so i can prepare my son accordingly.

Thanks in advance.
ToadMum

Re: Multiple Queries about test and age for watford boys tes

Post by ToadMum »

Watford boys wrote:Dear,
I have some queries about testing in watford Grammar school for boys admissions and test.
1)My son is 10 years old not 11 when he sit in test which is known as 11+test,did school give any marks for less age?
2)Regarding Test I am working on Math,english,verbal reasoning,non verbal reasoning(bond tests/GL).But on the test information site from watford grammar school it shows GL verbal reasoning and Math only which shows only 2 type of test,so i need to know did my son give 2 tests only as shown on site(Math and english) or he has to sit in 4 tests as explained above?
3)If i check 2 test as per site on school total marks are as below
math;50,english:80 in total 130 but on site of school its shows lowest score for academic test is 220 how?

hope so you understand my Questions but please anyone do reply so i can prepare my son accordingly.

Thanks in advance.
Hi :)

Not in your area, but I have had a look at the SW Herts Consortium website and to answer your question about the subjects tested, as it says that there are two papers, Maths and Verbal Reasoning, these are the only two papers that candidates for the 'academic' selective places will sit.

http://www.swhertsschools.org.uk/academic-ability-test/

If your DS enjoys puzzles, then he may find looking at NVR questions fun and it's always useful to improve one's skills in English comprehension, but it there are no specific papers on these in the SW Herts exam.

Re the candidate's age at the time of sitting the exam, the website says:

Are the scores age-standardised?

Academic Ability Test

The Verbal Reasoning and Maths raw scores are age standardised. The raw scores are converted to an “age-standardised score” based on the child’s age in completed months. Standardisation balances the overall performance of children from one year to the next and makes sure that all children are placed on an equal footing and that no child is unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged because of his or her age. It takes into account the child’s age in years and months on the date they take the test and that some children are very young in the year group.

For more information on age-standardisation please refer to https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/media/2 ... -final.pdf and http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... sation.cfm

So yes, it is taken into account :).

Concerning the score of 220 not fitting with the maximum combined scores of the two papers, this is because the standardisation process turns raw Mark's into standardised scores - which the Consortium uses - which will be in the range of c.69 to c.140 for each paper. So c138 to 280 for a two-paper exam. The mean raw score will (usually) translate into a standardised score of 100 and the nearer the candidate's raw score was to the mean raw score for that paper, the more candidates there will be with around the same standardised score.

About 68% will have standardised scores between 170 and 230, so above 230 puts you on the top c.16% and below 170, in the bottom c.16%.

So, although the raw score is out of 50, or 80, the candidate's standardised score shows where they are positioned in the ranking of candidates - it is not out of the highest standardised score quoted.

Hope that helps a bit?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Re: Multiple Queries about test and age for watford boys tes

Post by Daogroupie »

There is no such thing as the Watford boys test.

All the state selective schools in Watford are part of the SW Herts Consortium.

You do not apply to Watford boys to sit the test, you apply to SW Herts Consortium and SW Herts Consortium will post the results on the portal.

The exam format is GL Multiple Choice VR and Maths.

There is no English paper and there is no NVR paper.

Once the results come out in October you will be able to apply to Watford boys on your CAF form with your score.

You can use that score to apply for any of the other SW Herts Schools you might be interested in. DG