Feasibility to move near slough after results declared

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ric

Feasibility to move near slough after results declared

Post by ric »

Hello, We reside in Reading as of now and my elder son already goes to Herschel Grammar School (HGS) in slough using the school bus service. My younger one will appearing for exams this year and as you all are aware that HGS has put up a priority area of 4 miles. We will prefer to stay in Reading but that leaves us with only 2 schools (Reading School and Upton Court). So thinking of a worse situation if he doesn't get lucky with either of them then moving to Slough can be an option to secure a place in HGS just in case he gets a score between 111-121.
Anybody have any experience what can be done before hand as we will have only 2 weeks to move to Slough, update the new Address in the council and submit a CAF form using Sough Council site. Any pointers from people who have made a move to priority areas with short span of time?
trimission

Re: Feasibility to move near slough after results declared

Post by trimission »

You are assuming that Upton cut-off remains at 121. Keep in mind that for the last few years it's been increasing.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not wishing to be a wet blanket, but tbh, you would be better planning either to move into the Herschel priority area now, to make sure that you have all the proofs of a genuine move in place by 31st October, or plan to stay put regardless and see how things pan out. Presumably, you have visited all the relevant non-selective alternatives in both areas, so can list your true (and realistic) preferences on your CAF?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The historical admissions data for Slough can be found here.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =10&t=9313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However we don’t yet know what the full impact of Herschel's admissions changes have had yet, particularly on Upton Court. Slough tend to release this info at the same time as the test results. However if you look at the allocations threads for this year it should give you some idea.

I’m not sure of any of the schools have a date by which you need to have moved for your new address to be considered on your application. I am aware the both Readng and Kendrick take your address at the end of August before taking the test as the one they consider.

The results come out mid October, so it doesn’t give a lot of time to move before the CAF deadline if that’s the date required.

Do you also have decent non selective local schools to consider?
ric

Post by ric »

You are assuming that Upton cut-off remains at 121. Keep in mind that for the last few years it's been increasing.
Thanks trimission!
As per the data provided in this thread itself shows 116 for Upton court but as HGS has put priority area criteria it will surely have an impact on Upton but to what extent I'm not sure.
Not wishing to be a wet blanket, but tbh, you would be better planning either to move into the Herschel priority area now, to make sure that you have all the proofs of a genuine move in place by 31st October, or plan to stay put regardless and see how things pan out. Presumably, you have visited all the relevant non-selective alternatives in both areas, so can list your true (and realistic) preferences on your CAF?
Thanks ToadMum!
Yah, I agree that moving now would be the safest approach but I'm not very sure as I might loose out on Reading School designated area and I will prefer staying in Windsor within the 4 mile catchment rather than staying in Slough. That is the reason I was looking for guidance if anybody moved within that 2 week period.
I have non-selective alternative in mind that has "Good" ofsted rating.
The historical admissions data for Slough can be found here.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9313

However we don’t yet know what the full impact of Herschel's admissions changes have had yet, particularly on Upton Court. Slough tend to release this info at the same time as the test results. However if you look at the allocations threads for this year it should give you some idea.

I’m not sure of any of the schools have a date by which you need to have moved for your new address to be considered on your application. I am aware the both Readng and Kendrick take your address at the end of August before taking the test as the one they consider.

The results come out mid October, so it doesn’t give a lot of time to move before the CAF deadline if that’s the date required.

Do you also have decent non selective local schools to consider?
Thank you Tinkers!
After reading your post I realised that the cut off date for Reading school is 31st August and I'm sure I cannot move before that date. For HGS the cut off date is 31st Oct and as there are only 2 weeks between result declaration date and cut off date it is tricky to move at that time. I'm wondering if anybody did that ?
I have non selective school with "Good" ofsted rating in mind just in case nothing works out
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

ric wrote:Thanks trimission!
As per the data provided in this thread itself shows 116 for Upton court but as HGS has put priority area criteria it will surely have an impact on Upton but to what extent I'm not sure.
Hi, This data is for 2018 admission, the cut off for 2019 will probably be staying around 121, a fair bit higher than previous years!

In March UCGS Head Teacher said this in the monthly newsletter
"UCGS is hugely oversubscribed with more families than ever putting Upton as first choice" the lowest offer was made at 121, and there are "Hundreds of students on the waiting list"

There is every chance the cutoff could be higher next year!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now