Percentages?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mamaofthree

Percentages?

Post by Mamaofthree »

Is there a general guide on what percentage you need to be passing the mock exams/test papers to get into schools? I know we’re not given their percentage when it comes to the actual exam but I’m interested to have an idea of how my DS is performing?
Bambi 175

Re: Percentages?

Post by Bambi 175 »

Someone asked this recently if you go to page 2 "What percentage is needed to pass" thread.
I think generally lower than you would think. 50% is probably enough to get a place at one of the schools, a bit higher for the more competitive ones.
It seems remarkably low to me! I think it's easier to get a GS place than people think.
cazien

Post by cazien »

It doesn't really matter what % your DS is getting now - it's the test that matters. Mocks are good for introducing DCs as to what will happen on the day and to identify weaknesses, they are not a true reflection on who will/won't achieve a rank.
It will also depend on how many sit the 11+. This varies (and is increasing yearly) but there are normally around 2300 applicants with 1000ish? places. They qualify near to the total number of PANs.
Keep working until the 11+ trying to identify weaknesses, (formulae, comprehension, vocabulary or timing issues, etc.).
Good Luck.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

The simple answer is no, you can't say.
Having said that, there is some guidance from previous years, what people were scoring and which schools they got into.

I would say that last year it was definitely higher than previous years. that maybe because there were more kids, or because the test was harder, or because the cohort were all better prepared.

So I think 50% is pretty low/ I would want 60% min for most and for pates 80+

I am not talking about mocks (who can tell how hard the questions are) but the tests at the back of the CPG books.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

We're doing some CGP Practice papers over the holidays and wondered if around 60% would be a good guage for those too? In the booklet it says 85% which is rather high! I'm finding them useful in terms of definite areas of weakness and strengths...
Mumto3Girls

Post by Mumto3Girls »

Previous posters are absolutely right about it all being about how well the cohort of students who sit that exact test, in the same conditions, on the same day perform i.e. there are no "rules" regarding pass marks just are there are not in public exams, it's all relative!

BUT, I remember wondering this myself before DD1 sat the 11+ last year and hope that my experiences with her might help a bit....

She did not have any formal tutoring, but we spent some time over the months following registering for the test going through some Maths with her (as we knew from friends that the test covers things that are not taught at school until Year 6 and beyond) and doing some of the "10 minute" tests in the CGP mixed workout book (only one we bought as it covered the different elements of the test) and she did about 4 of the CGP practice papers which we gave her to do to familiarise herself with the format of the papers, filling in lozenges instead of writing out answers, timing of sections etc.

She was scoring between 65-80% on the CGP 10 minute tests (lowest score was 45% and highest 89%) and averaged about 75% on the practice papers. She qualified in the top 150 for all the girls grammars and Pates and is off to the latter in a few weeks time.

I would, however, absolutely not get wound up about pass marks. As I've already said, it's all relative. However, I know what it's like not having any benchmark. I am a teacher myself and know that I am constantly on the hunt for benchmarks for my GCSE / A level students and used to work out average marks needed for each grade on each paper from past papers before the reform to GCSE (have started again now!)

The most impactful thing we did with DD1 was to look at exam technique with her. I know that this - above anything - enabled her to perform to the best of her ability on the day and gave her the confidence to take it all in her stride. DD2 and 3 will be sitting the test next September (2020) and will do exactly the same with them. Nothing at all til June then focus on exam technique above all else in the couple of months before the test.

Hope this helps. I appreciate it's just my opinion / experience but - as I've already said - I took comfort from other's experiences when I was going through the prep period last summer :)

All the best for September
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Thanks Mumto3Girls that is really useful, I know everything is cohort dependent but a benchmark is really useful to know if you are in the right ballpark :D
jearund

Post by jearund »

Thanks Mumto3girls. DS has also done a few of the CGP full papers and is getting similar marks to your DD (I think on the last one he averaged just over 80 because he did better on part 2 than part 1). I keep hearing that you need to be getting over 80 for Pates so feel he's on the border and it could go either way on the day. Most of the marks he loses are on the last few questions and are because of time, which is frustrating as there is nothing we can do about that except keep practicing. I'm reassured a bit by your message because your daughter's results show that it's not as clear-cut as that. (Incidentally she is obviously very bright and many congratulations to her! I hope she enjoys Pates.) I can't wait for it all to be over, I'm much more stressed about it than DS but that's a good thing - I don't want him worrying!
Mumto3Girls

Post by Mumto3Girls »

Jearund - sounds like he's on the right lines 8)

DD usually did better on one paper than the other on the CGP tests. Her highest mark overall was 89% where she did really well on both papers, but another time she got 69% overall as she bombed on one! Just goes to show there's no telling really!!

I suggested to DD that if she only had a minute to go and had 3 or 4 questions left that she guessed rather than leave any blanks..... I know she did so in the real exam. I also suggested to her that (particularly on the Maths section) if she was spending a while working on one question, to leave it and do the next one and go back if she had time. Best to maximise what you can do than spend time struggling over something? Again, I know she did this and also didn't finish the Maths section (think she left 4 or 5 questions out). I'm not sure the Maths section is designed to be finished tbh!!

She's very excited about starting Pates. Bought her blazer yesterday!!
jearund

Post by jearund »

Mumto3Girls wrote:
I suggested to DD that if she only had a minute to go and had 3 or 4 questions left that she guessed rather than leave any blanks.....

She's very excited about starting Pates. Bought her blazer yesterday!!
DS has also been guessing when he runs out of time - you can because the answers will mainly be right with some wrong ones dotted about (except NVR where he usually gets them pretty much all right :-)), and then the last few will be wrong! But when you go through them with him he knows the answers. I suppose that if everyone struggles with time, it won't matter but if he's going to lose marks by not finishing he really can't afford to make mistakes elsewhere!

I bet your DD is excited - and so she should be! Our DD is at Ribston and she was so proud of herself for getting in (and pleased because that was the school she wanted). She didn't qualify for Pates and we never expected her to so there was less pressure on her, especially as Ribston tends to go lower down the list than some of the others (though in the event she qualified for all except Pates). But DS has always been top of his form and is so interested in learning - he amazes me with his knowledge of science, most of which he hasn't learnt at school!! He has been having tuition at a centre and it's really brought out the best in him as he's been able to progress well beyond the Year 5 level and he's loving the challenge of Year 7 and beyond maths in particular. So I really want him to go to a school which will give him that challenge and keep him interested. Pates would definitely do that!

I'll be really interested to hear how your daughter finds Pates once she's started if you want to post an update. I know this forum is mainly about the exam, but as we have told DD, the 11+ is just the start to get you in. Then the real work begins!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now