Independent schools in Reading area for autistic boy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Schoolconundrum

Independent schools in Reading area for autistic boy

Post by Schoolconundrum »

My son is going into year 6 in September and has recently been diagnosed with ASD. It is ‘mild’ but he needs extra help with academics as well as social skills.
Sadly we have discounted local grammar schools as he is not able enough.

We are wanting to maximise his social skills and independence as an adult but of course still pass his exams and be happy.

Can anyone recommend/ share experience/ advice on the local independent schools for an aspie?

Some would mean moving house or a long commute but we are realising that this is our reality.

Looking at school websites they don’t say much about this kind of thing - Crosfields and St Josephs don’t mention ASD difficulties whilst Holme Grange, Luckley House and Sherfield briefly mention/ elude to support. Shiplake/ Bradfield/ Pangbourne are sadly outside our price range.

I am wondering how the reality compares to the marketing! Hoping for some insider info before I start contacting the schools.

Thanks in advance.
Tinkers

Re: Independent schools in Reading area for autistic boy

Post by Tinkers »

I don’t know of they specifically deal with ASD, but Leighton Park seem to have a reasonable reputation for SEN in general. However it’s a fair bit more expensive than some of the others.

It might be worth contacting St Joes though, as I know a few people with DCs there and they all seem happy with it. The others I don’t really know much about.