CSSE Exam Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SuperDad3g

CSSE Exam Day

Post by SuperDad3g »

We recently received a letter from CSSE advising us that our child will be required to arrive at the testing school (SHSG) between 7.45am and 8.30am on the 21st of September. However, the letter does not provide any further information on the structure of the day!

Please may I ask what the structure of the exam day might look like, esp. from those who've been through this exam before? Could the exam day be expected to look like what I've attempted to show below? For those parents experienced with SHSG as a testing centre, any further advice would be greatly appreciated, e.g. best time to arrive, and where to park etc.

Attempt at structure of exam day:
07:45-08:30 Parents and candidates arrive
08:30-09:30 Candidates registration including photography!
09:30-10:00 Candidates seated for exam
10:00-11:10 English exam
11:10-11:30 Break
11:30-12:30 Maths exam
12:30 Candidates depart

Thanks for all your help!
pinkrabbit38

Re: CSSE Exam Day

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

All I know from last year is as follows:
On arrival, based on surnames, you are directed to different parts of the school.
As you drop your child off they take your child’s photo and sign your child in. The parent then leaves.
Timings of the test will not be set as too many factors involved, but yes English is often first, then a break and then the maths.
At the pick up time you return to where you dropped off and they let a few kids out at a time.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

There’s no parking in SHSG unless you have a disabled blue badge. So get there early as you may need to walk quite a way.
We got there early and still joined the queue half way down the road.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Oh and registration is from 7:45am, I think the first test starts about 9am. They don’t make the kids hang around too long.
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

From SHSG last year. Don’t get too hung up on timings in case things go a bit wonky on the day and it throws your child off. My advise would be to have a good breakfast, get some fresh air in the morning (we walked to the test centre) and plan something nice for the afternoon... and don’t ask too many questions!

SuperDad3g

Post by SuperDad3g »

Thanks Pinkrabbit and LeighMum. I didn’t appreciate that the first paper actually starts at 9am! That’s pretty early! The long walk from the parking to SHSG will require good planning, an early night, an early start and a really good breakfast!
SuperDad3g

Post by SuperDad3g »

May I please check if the children are allowed to use pens during the CSSE exam? The exam letter says that they should bring a pencil, eraser, pen and ruler to the exam. Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SuperDad3g wrote:May I please check if the children are allowed to use pens during the CSSE exam? The exam letter says that they should bring a pencil, eraser, pen and ruler to the exam. Thanks
If you have been asked to send your DC in with a pen, then the inference would be that they will be allowed to use them?

For what it's worth, just checkecked with DD (test centre SHSG, 2012 entry) and DS2 (SHSB 2014 entry) and their response was pen for the English and Maths and pencil for the then separate VR paper.
Last edited by ToadMum on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SuperDad3g

Post by SuperDad3g »

Thanks ToadMum. Yes, I do need to practise my inference skills!

Our daughter is used to writing in pencil and erasing whenever she makes a mistake. Her preference is clearly pencil and eraser! I wonder if they’ll let the children choose whether they’d like pen or pencil?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Whatever she is using, striking through the mistake with a single line is a lot quicker than rubbing out an incorrect word / number written in pencil.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now