English continuous writing question - best way to start?

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
schoolrun

English continuous writing question - best way to start?

Post by schoolrun »

Hi
My daughter is practising continuous writing and I found the following CSSE grammar school sample question for her to answer:

"Explain, in your own words, how you would clean your room. Give clear instructions and include as much detail as possible."

Is this (and any other 'instructions' style question) considered fiction or non-fiction? I understand there are different writing styles advised for each and I want to put together a marking scheme for her to mark her own work afterwards.

What would be examples of an effective way to start answering such a question? I believe there needs to be an impactful beginning for all continuous writing pieces. Thank you.
schoolrun

Re: English continuous writing question - best way to start?

Post by schoolrun »

DD has now written the paper and it looks good, except that she has given headings to each paragraph, which I was not expecting. The headings are Step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4. It hampers the flow somewhat. Does anyone have a link to a site or resources that give guidance on how to answer different types of continuous writing questions?
Thanks
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Given the genre, I would think that that is fine. She needs to show that she can write differently according to the brief.
She will have done all sorts of different writing at school.
schoolrun

Post by schoolrun »

yoyo123 wrote:Given the genre, I would think that that is fine. She needs to show that she can write differently according to the brief.
She will have done all sorts of different writing at school.
Thank you, yoyo.
Yes they do "the big write" every Friday at school. Also after a bit more googling, although I haven't found any resources as such, the suggestion seems to be that her structure works for that kind of question.

I've found two books on amazon that seem to address writing structures for 11+ and I've ordered them. They'll be delivered this weekend.
Thank you for replying.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you found the CSSE question on their website, then presumably you also found the mark scheme? They usually make both available. (My phone won't let me check atm, as it has detected a safety issue with the website's security certificate, but there might be a way round on a different device?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
newbieCath

Post by newbieCath »

schoolrun wrote:
I've found two books on amazon that seem to address writing structures for 11+ and I've ordered them. They'll be delivered this weekend.
Thank you for replying.
I am looking for similar books. Can you let me know which ones you got as I could not find what you mentioned on amazon. Thank you
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now