School Shoes for Teenage Boys - transition period

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

School Shoes for Teenage Boys - transition period

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Hi - I have a dilemma and hope someone on here can help. My DS has just outgrown his size 6 childrens shoes. I have just bought size 7 mens but they seem way too large around the ankle. How do you move up from child to man (clothes seem to be a problem too!)? He likes the padded heels of kids shoes so I am rather limited for choice (esp as not much money) and also he needs (wants - I forget) laces.... arrrggghhhh. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it as the clock is ticking and at this rate he will be going in barefoot!

BBB
Twinkle

Re: School Shoes for Teenage Boys - transition period

Post by Twinkle »

My boys have slim feet and after a lot of trying different shoes on and losing the will to live eventually concluded that slip ons were out of the question and that Next Mens lace ups were the only answer ( other brands of lace up shoes were too wide). And we have stuck with that formula. I think we have paid about £30 a pair for the last few years.
doodles

Post by doodles »

We covered this transition with Next as well and wider footed child has M&S.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Clarks go up to at least a size 8 - DS2's size - and still in a variety of widths. His feet seemed to stop growing during year 10, so for year 11 I risked buying his shoes without him there, when I was visiting our local(ish) ' Freeport. The ones he has are neat lace-ups, plain all but a seam across the foot. He has always measured an E width, but often ended up with an F anyway, with no problems, so those are the ones that I got. Last year's will last into 6th form, although next time I am near the Freeport, I will probably look for another pair.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

ToadMum wrote:Clarks go up to at least a size 8 - DS2's size - and still in a variety of widths. His feet seemed to stop growing during year 10, so for year 11 I risked buying his shoes without him there, when I was visiting our local(ish) ' Freeport. The ones he has are neat lace-ups, plain all but a seam across the foot. He has always measured an E width, but often ended up with an F anyway, with no problems, so those are the ones that I got. Last year's will last into 6th form, although next time I am near the Freeport, I will probably look for another pair.
We have got Clarks school shoes up to size 10 (mens)online, my DS is size 11.5 now!!
Hera

Post by Hera »

The Clarks boys school shoes go up to a size 10. I think we bought a comfy lace up style in these until size 9 and then bought a very similar style from the men's range. I seem to remember the prices were similar for both £45 to £50, but we get a couple of years out of them now.
doodles

Post by doodles »

pinkrabbit38 wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Clarks go up to at least a size 8 - DS2's size - and still in a variety of widths. His feet seemed to stop growing during year 10, so for year 11 I risked buying his shoes without him there, when I was visiting our local(ish) ' Freeport. The ones he has are neat lace-ups, plain all but a seam across the foot. He has always measured an E width, but often ended up with an F anyway, with no problems, so those are the ones that I got. Last year's will last into 6th form, although next time I am near the Freeport, I will probably look for another pair.
We have got Clarks school shoes up to size 10 (mens)online, my DS is size 11.5 now!!
Try being a size 13 / 14 by year 11 - that caused all sorts of problems because nobody has them in stock, they always need to be ordered. M&S overnight delivery came to the rescue on more than one occasion.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

And just to say don't be too tempted by cheapest. In a fit of independence last year DS went into town to buy his own non Clarks shoes for year 11. Came back with some nice looking ones from top shop but within two weeks the sole and leather had come apart. Thus muggins here had to wade in, get a full refund as 'not fit for purpose' & then take him to Clarks for office shoes from adult shelves. As always pricey but will go into 6th form in September looking almost as good as new.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Look out for Clarks sales which happen every few months.

Men's shoes in the sale can often be cheaper than boy's school shoes which don't tend to go on sale especially at this time of year.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks for all the replies and advice... I wish I had asked earlier as the most appropriate are from Clarks but they are out of stock. He is no fashionista but he only likes Derby style and not chunky :roll: and I only like him to have leather (plastic ones just peel). We have been lucky with the last two pairs which were from Buckle My Shoe but now I am totally at a loss. I had forgotten about Clarks and Next so thanks for those tips. It this all goes pearshaped then maybe I can just cut peepholes in the front of his current shoes :lol: