Do we really need to keep covering exercise books?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Do we really need to keep covering exercise books?

Post by BucksBornNBred »

In these days where we are all highly aware of plastic pollutiion, why do schools still insist on the use of plastic film on exercise books - or is that just my school? Is it not maybe time to go back to using wallpaper? The reason this question has popped into my mind is that I am obviously preparing for the new term but feel uneasy having to buy a new roll of menacing plastic. I know there are bigger plastic issues but surely we need to look at all uses.
Deb70

Re: Do we really need to keep covering exercise books?

Post by Deb70 »

We re-use the plastic covers from their old exercise books.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm not sure ours had to be plastic? Yes to buying the reusable ones.
scary mum
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

None of my children have to cover their books....5 children....5 schools
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Pretty sure we are at the same school and apart from y7&8 we have never covered a book! Never had behaviour points for it either. Don't know if DS was only child with uncovered books though!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Don't cover books here either. Again DS maybe the only one with uncovered books but it's never been brought to my attention.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

No plastic covers here either. Are the school suggesting stick-backed plastic? If so that’s a waste of time and resources. I really wouldn’t bother.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It might be wasteful but I'm sure it prolongs the life of the books. I actually enjoy covering books, but the reusable covers are less wasteful. Somewhere there's an old thread about the joys of book covering, I'll see if I can find it later.
scary mum
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I remember always covering books with old wallpaper as a child, much more sustainable.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

BlueBerry22 wrote:Pretty sure we are at the same school and apart from y7&8 we have never covered a book! Never had behaviour points for it either. Don't know if DS was only child with uncovered books though!
Really BB22?? DS was threatened with detention last year for not having a covered book! Apparently, only second hand, who knows, maybe he got it wrong, maybe he lied - as Judge Judy says "you know when a teenager is lying when their mouth moves". :lol: :roll: Maybe DS is being over cautious so your comment makes me feel better... I will check with him later when he is out of bed (only joking, though the day does slip during the holidays and he does drift towards being a vampire!)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now