Bucks 11+ / Level of exam HELP

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jessie

Bucks 11+ / Level of exam HELP

Post by Jessie »

Hi all,
Hope you are all surviving these dreaded holidays
We have done the Susan Daughtery Mocks
And CPG Bucks 11+ papers
The levels all seem to be different! What is the most realistic level and what % should we be aiming for???????
patricia

Re: Bucks 11+ / Level of exam HELP

Post by patricia »

Level of difficulty

https://www.thebucksgrammarschools.org/faqs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is the test age appropriate?

The Buckinghamshire STT is designed to be taken at the beginning of the Autumn term when children move in to Year 6. Literacy levels in the test are kept as low as possible to ensure that the test assesses reasoning ability rather than levels of literacy. Additionally maths or English content in the test does not go beyond what the national curriculum expects children to know and be able to do by the end of Year 5
Patricia
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

Many thanks Patricia but this does not seem like the case from the Mocks that we have done.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Jessie wrote:Many thanks Patricia but this does not seem like the case from the Mocks that we have done.
I'm sure that Patricia will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the only real Bucks 'mock' exams are the familiarisation papers taken just before the real exam in September?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
patricia

Post by patricia »

Jessie wrote:Many thanks Patricia but this does not seem like the case from the Mocks that we have done.
The Bucks Grammar Schools have informed GL Assessment what they want in respect of question difficulty as per the link provided above.

Agree with ToadMum, the familiarisation booklet, available to download in the summer term together with the practice test given two days before the real test, will be the only tests, levelled specifically for Bucks.

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/451370 ... -entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you will find mocks tend to be harder, for reasons only known to the provider. Perhaps they have not read the details given by the Bucks Grammar Schools.

Many providers are testing children for other areas including Bucks and therefore may up the difficulty to take this into account. In other words the tests are not necessarily Bucks specific.

I think the CGP papers for Bucks are a good buy.

Personally I think mock tests are good for reasons other than the score. They can be helpful in allowing children to sit a test under test conditions. However if the questions are set to high they could be demoralising.

Bucks children will sit the test in their class or hall, non partner schools and out of area children will attend the Grammar schools taking the test in their halls.

Patricia
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

At this stage I don't think children can be learning new things.
Whatever the scores are, I think you should only be going over anything they don't understand and not worrying about percentages.
I would concentrate on timing and technique, make sure they eat and sleep properly, and try to get them in a good place where they know they just have to try their best and not worry too much.
NotPerfectMum

Post by NotPerfectMum »

Well said, Deb70! Given our last year experience, don't worry too much about mock results. My DD took two mocks by different providers, one of the results was good, and another wasn't promising which we didn't tell her at all. She said the mocks were harder than the real test -- she passed with flying colours. In the next 4 weeks, just focus on weak-spot checking, timing and technique which are critical to 11 years old as it might be the first-ever important test they take.
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

Many thanks all
This is the best advice I have heard for a long time!
My son seems to do well on all of the 10-11 Bond, CGP and 10 minute test books.

I did buy the CGP Bucks 11+ prep tests. What score would I be looking at for these?
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

The percentage they need depends on what everybody else scores! I don't think you should get too hung up on percentages. My youngest DS was getting 100% on tests over the summer but he didn't pass because of timing issues/nerves. Middle DS wasn't getting 100% yet he passed because he went in with confidence and a have-a-go attitude.
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

Mocks are good to pick up areas of relative weakness, I wouldn't use as a predictor. We discovered from the mocks that our son was struggling with timing in maths and NVR and focused on that for the remaining weeks. He passed the actual test, whereas some children we know did better in mocks and didn't pass.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now