Exam technique help pls

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
eccco

Exam technique help pls

Post by eccco »

Hello all

I have a question on exam technique, hope somebody can help? My DD had her GL exams in a few weeks now.

I have always advised her to guess the answer when a question is taking too long and move on. However, I hear from some parents that it is better to skip the question completely and revisit if time permits, because wrong answers may be penalised.

I have looked around the forum and can't find an answer, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
ToadMum

Re: Exam technique help pls

Post by ToadMum »

As far as I am aware, negative marking is not employed in any state school selection test.

Perhaps your informants would be so good as to let you have the links to their information, if I am wrong, though. It would be useful to have them in a post on this forum.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

The exam provider for your area will issue guidance and information about the test when you register your child for the test. Have you looked at that? My child sat a GL eleven plus last year and (as with previous years) marks were not deducted for incorrect answers and children were advised to guess any they didn't know. So it is always better to guess because there is a chance the answer could be correct, but no marks are given for blank answers.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am not aware of any eleven plus exam that uses negative marking.

I would always recommend all student to record an answer and then go back to review it if they have time. DG
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Interesting one, I always assumed leave blank and revisit and only guess if you're running out of time at the end. But I suppose if they somehow mark the ones they need to go back to, then that avoids the situation when you run out of time even to guess.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

As far as I am aware, there is no negative marking. GL multiple choice is marked by computer.
General advice( for any test) is, if you are stuck, move on quickly. .do what you can. You only get marks for completed questions.
Check your answers
Go back and have a second go at the ones you left out.
If you gave any time left, guess!
AML

Post by AML »

eccco wrote:Hello all

I have a question on exam technique, hope somebody can help? My DD had her GL exams in a few weeks now.

I have always advised her to guess the answer when a question is taking too long and move on. However, I hear from some parents that it is better to skip the question completely and revisit if time permits, because wrong answers may be penalised.

I have looked around the forum and can't find an answer, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't take advice from those parents anymore!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you skip it and revisit you will have to waste time reading it twice and you may forget to go back and end up losing the mark.

If you complete it and then have time you can go back and perhaps change it. If you don't have time at least you have given yourself a chance of getting it right. DG
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Yes, look how many minutes there are and how many questions so you have a rough idea of time/question. If it's taking too long, guess it but mark the question so if there's time you can come back to it later. If not, you haven't left it blank.