computer123's thread

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
schooling123

Pre Tests

Post by schooling123 »

Please could anyone who had experience with this - is it better to take different tests on different days, to spread pressure?

Thank you.
doodles

Re: Pre Tests

Post by doodles »

You will really need to identify the schools that you are interested in and then see if the test dates clash. I expect that you won't get much choice about when to sit them. If you are looking at several schools in one area they will probably have agreed dates amongst themselves so that they don't clash. However, if you are spreading your new wide then you will need to decide which schools you prefer.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
schooling123

Bursaries at 13+ more than at 11+?

Post by schooling123 »

I am more and more worried that although we are both working, we cannot afford the full fee. If applying for 11+, I just feel perhaps it might be too risky for school to fund 7 years. Are there more bursaries at 13+?
Thank you.
scary mum

Re: Bursaries at 13+ more than at 11+?

Post by scary mum »

Schooling123, you are asking a lot of questions, many of which could very easily be looked up on the school websites or found out by calling the school. Maybe when you find out the answers to all these questions you could update your threads to help members in the future?
scary mum
schooling123

child - applying for MTS / can he sit 13+ when 11 yeas old?

Post by schooling123 »

If a child is in the state school, can he sit an exam for he entry at 13+, when he is 11 years old?
I mean there would be a 2 year gap between getting a place and the beginning of school...
scary mum

Re: child - applying for MTS / can he sit 13+ when 11 yeas o

Post by scary mum »

Why would MTS allow that when they have an 11 plus entry?
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’d assume the school website would give this sort of info in its admissions pages.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Bursaries at 13+ more than at 11+?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I also think you are getting confused between bursaries (means tested financial awards which can be as much as 100% fee reduction - limited by the total amount in the school pot) and scholarships (awards that may or may not have financial gain attached - usually very small amounts around 10% of fees)

Scholarships tend to be awarded to the very highest achieving students at traditional entrance points eg Y7/12. Bursaries tend to be awarded to students the school would like, who may well have achieved really well and whose parents have completed very detailed financial disclosures and have been means tested and deemed to be eligible.
AML

Post by AML »

It is virtually unheard of but I would get an official response from the school. Also begs the question what will he do during year 7 and 8?
lapindebois

Post by lapindebois »

Don't know this school, but at my son's state primary recently a boy got a 100% bursary to an independent which also paid for him to have two years in a prep school for years 7 and 8. I imagine it would be different at a school which had 11+ entry though; this one was only 13+.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now