computer123's thread

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Re: Bursaries at 13+ more than at 11+?

Post by loobylou »

Schooling 123, I have had a look through your posts. You seem to have two children (?) and be looking at London indies as well as maybe some (?) of the state grammars. London indies are very expensive. They would have been prohibitively expensive for our family for even one child which is why we didn't contemplate them after an initial review of our finances (we also have two working parents). If you are worried about the costs then it is really important to look at other options. (My parents have two family friends who have had to move their children from their indies to state schools in the last 3 years, both at sensitive times during their education, because of financial issues).
Nowhere in any of your posts do you mention the possibility of your child (ren) going to a local comprehensive school. I understand maybe you live in a black hole where local schools are dire (I do knave friends in that position who literally choose the cheapest independent school they could get their child to and then moved him to a local sixth form for A levels where he is thriving) but maybe you should post on the forum where you live and ask for advice?
Whilst we were on holiday this week my DH (teacher, local comprehensive school, average results) was looking at the A level results of his students (so only looking at about 18 students) and two of them got A*AA. A well motivated clever cold can honestly do well at their local school without your family having to sacrifice everything for them to go to an independent school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is this for the DS who said was in year 6 back at the beginning of the academic year? If so and he has just finished year 6, presumably has either already got a state school allocation or is at a prep school going through to the end of year 8? If the latter, what advice on the process is the school giving you?

If the former, perhaps give the school and your DS a chance to see how well his abilities and the school's teaching suit each other before thinking about taking him out of the state system on a possibly uncertain financial foundation. Independent schools are businesses and have no obligation to continue to provide their services to those who can no longer pay for them :(.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
schooling123

Post by schooling123 »

Thank you for realistic advice. I now feel that uncertain situation with bursaries etc makes me worried and causes sleepless nights, I feel it overwhelms me.
DS starts year 6 in Sept. I look at comprehensive as a back up.
I was just hoping that if we had an offer of a good bursary at indie, then it would be a motivation to move to indie.
I am now considering 13+ indie, so 2 years gap (Year 7-8 in state school); I have to check if that is possible.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Do you have any grammar schools within realistic commuting distance or only indies?

Schools are not good just because they are indies.

We have a local indie that regularly is the cause of excellent academic students losing their offers. We have known some of the students this has happened to at primary school and compared with their cohort, their choice of this indie seems to have held back their academic progress rather than promoted it.

The sixth form seems very weak and we know many examples of students ending up with Bs and Cs but still parents fall over themselves to hand over the money.

It would help to know roughly where you are based.
edited by moderator ...local 13 plus preps or Y7 and Y8 in order to get a students in at 13 plus who has missed out at 11 plus.

They have plenty of spaces as increasingly students are moving at 11 plus.

A friend of mine with a ds at a local 13 plus prep tells me that over half the parents are going for 11 plus, not 13 plus.

These schools have very good track records at 13 plus into the local private schools and I would recommend them. DG
fleurdelacourt

Re: child - applying for MTS / can he sit 13+ when 11 yeas o

Post by fleurdelacourt »

Some big public schools do have entry at 11+ and 13+. And some 13+ exams are based on a pre test (or even a full exam) which is sat when they are in Year 6.

Examples are St Paul's and Dulwich College. MTS don't have this scheme - the 13+ process is based solely on a Year 8 exam.

The only way you'll know what the options are is to contact the relevant school directly?
branmoment

Post by branmoment »

"MTS don't have this scheme - the 13+ process is based solely on a Year 8 exam."
This is not true for any boys who will be entering Year 6 in September 2019 - for them, the entrance examination is in January of Year 6. This is a new system.

MTS would want to know what your plans were for years 7 & 8 if you wanted to apply from a state school - they would need reassurance that the curriculum being studied was suitable for entrance in to year 9. You should also note that those with confirmed places have to sit setting examinations in January of Year 8 - your son would need support in preparing for them.

I agree that you should contact the school to discuss why a 13+ application would be preferable to 11+.
schooling123

Post by schooling123 »

Thank you for your helpful replies
computer123

computer123's thread

Post by computer123 »

We are both working (modest salary) and at the end of each month there is about £200 left in the bank.

When I do the bursary application, putting income and outgoings it seems that there should be more that £200 money left in the account...I think some items are missing from my outgoing list...

I am filling out application and wonder whet outgoings shall i put ( food, bills, mortgage, childcare, caring for elderly parents, car maintenance, petrol, education/books, medical/ health expenses, tax...) is there anything else that I should put?
PettswoodFiona

Re: Bursary application - outgoings

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Everything. Look at past bank statements if you need reminding.There should be guidance on the application. They will work out what they think you could cut back on. I put down my season ticket to travel to work for example but they discounted that as they said I could cycle. It is 12 miles as the crow flies and not flat. If you are a homeowner bear in mind they are likely to take equity in your home into account too. It is all a bit invasive but I get why they have to ask you to do it.
hermanmunster

Re: Bursary application - outgoings

Post by hermanmunster »

I think PF is correct, list everything and they will soon take out what they think you can cut back on - they may query expenses for elderly relatives as these should normally be funded by the relatives themselves unless there are specific problems or they haven't claimed what they can etc

Nearly everyone who creates a financial statement like this whether it is for household budgetting / debt management or school bursaries finds that there is something missing ie less in the bank at the end of the month than they expected. Some of it is the money spent on day to day things coffee / car parking / quick lunch / haircuts / fuel etc etc - used to be the sort of thing paid in cash but less so these days. Can add up to quite a bit over time. If you have time it is best to keep a diary and write down everything - you will be surprised what it adds up to, if the form is imminent then go through the bank statements with a fine toothcomb, and don't forget the cash withrdrawals