A level choices - facilitating vs non-facilitating

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Surferfish

A level choices - facilitating vs non-facilitating

Post by Surferfish »

DS is having some second thoughts about his A level choices which he is due to start in September.

He is pretty sure that he will take Maths but not 100% decided on the other two and his preferences may partly depend on his GCSE results which he'll get on Thursday.

We understand that certain University courses require/prefer certain A levels. Biology and Chemistry for Medicine, Maths and Physics for Engineering etc.

But other degrees such as Economics or Psychology, do not always ask for particular A level subjects. For these sort of degrees do they care about the subjects taken or just the grades? For example is an 'A' in PE better than a 'B' in Chemistry for a degree that does not specifically require Chemistry A level or would something like PE be seen as a "soft" option by some Universities and count against him?

Thanks for any advice.
kenyancowgirl

Re: A level choices - facilitating vs non-facilitating

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It does depend a little on the university - I have a DS who also wants to do PE A level and I have said I am OK with it as he is considering 2 solid facilitating subjects alongside (2 out of Maths Geog Hist) - even the most up themselves Unis (bar Cambridge/LSE) are happy with a 2:1 facilitatiing:non-facilitating split (assuming there are no specific subject requirements for the course) - but after that grades are important.

Economics/Psych degrees are unusual in that they are two degrees where you don't even have to have taken the subject at A level! Neither are traditionally facilitating A level subjects but are now accpeted by the vast majority of Unis as on the list of facilitating or preferred subjects. Most important is that he does subjects that he enjoys as he will inevitably do better in them and better grades gives him more options.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I remember reading that the RG universities had dropped their list of facilitating subjects. There is an article here. Of course, it doesn't mean that some of the more fussy universities won't look more favourably on some subjects!
scary mum
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

I thought facilitating subjects were gone - https://www.google.com/amp/s/schoolswee ... -list/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JD
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/start" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - this is the replacement website, quick look seems useful.

JD
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

kenyancowgirl wrote:It does depend a little on the university - I have a DS who also wants to do PE A level and I have said I am OK with it as he is considering 2 solid facilitating subjects alongside (2 out of Maths Geog Hist) - even the most up themselves Unis (bar Cambridge/LSE) are happy with a 2:1 facilitatiing:non-facilitating split (assuming there are no specific subject requirements for the course) - but after that grades are important.

Economics/Psych degrees are unusual in that they are two degrees where you don't even have to have taken the subject at A level! Neither are traditionally facilitating A level subjects but are now accpeted by the vast majority of Unis as on the list of facilitating or preferred subjects. Most important is that he does subjects that he enjoys as he will inevitably do better in them and better grades gives him more options.
Psychology is actually another one that DS is considering. Are you saying that while it is not actually required for anything it is still considered a strong academic A level on a par with the traditional facilitating subjects?

Would something like Maths, Psychology and PE be acceptable for most general degrees at top universities or would he have a better chance of being offered a place if he dropped one of PE/Psychology for a second facilitating subject?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Officially RG have dropped facilitating (unofficially most CAs I know suspect it will take a little longer to filter through...!!)

I wouldn’t go as far as saying Psych is considered on a par with trad subjects but there is a lot of Maths/Biology in it - and a lot of crossover with elements of PE. It has appeared on some unis lists of preferred subjects and, if applying for a Psych degree is usually acceptable to that uni.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Thanks for the advice. He will probably decide depending on how his GCSE results go.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

We have been advised that facilitating subjects are no more but school reckons certain A levels not such a good idea. Psychology not offered at DS’s school because of cross over with Biology (and Maths I think as mentioned above) and they said its better to do the Bio and Maths.
I agree I am happy with a 2:1 ratio, DS is doing two facilitating and two non-facilitating to start with, I think that’s fine.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

This EBacc and facilitating subject stuff has been another debacle-destroying music arts MFL and many other subjects, and many student's interest in their education in my opinion.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now