AE Practice Papers Score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
grammerplusplus

AE Practice Papers Score

Post by grammerplusplus »

hi, New here. Any idea how indicative are AE practice paper scores for qualification to Kenrick and HB?

Thanks
Tinkers

Re: AE Practice Papers Score

Post by Tinkers »

I can’t help with info about practice papers, but given the 40+ miles distance between the schools, assuming you are in catchment for Kendrick, are you planning to move if you get a place at HBS and not Kendrick?

(Btw If you aren’t already in catchment for Kendrick by the end of August, then I wouldn’t bother having your DD take the test. She is very unlikely to get a place.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

HBS has also introduced a priority admissions area for 2020 entry.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
trimission

Post by trimission »

ToadMum wrote:HBS has also introduced a priority admissions area for 2020 entry.
Last year when Herschel introduced a priority admissions area there was a huge impact on rank scores for Upton and other schools. I wonder if this will once again have the same effect? Are there a lot of DCs attending HBS who live more than 3 miles away?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, a great many of them, I understand. There may be places for children further away if the top 300 aren't filled from the first 3 categories (looked after, pupil premium, and then within 3 miles). It's a bit of a gamble.
scary mum
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

trimission wrote:
ToadMum wrote:HBS has also introduced a priority admissions area for 2020 entry.
Last year when Herschel introduced a priority admissions area there was a huge impact on rank scores for Upton and other schools. I wonder if this will once again have the same effect? Are there a lot of DCs attending HBS who live more than 3 miles away?
I would hazard a guess that more than half the girls live further than 3 miles away from HBS currently. It will be interesting to see how the new plan changes things (if at all).
grammerplusplus

Tinkers wrote:I can’t help with info about practice papers, but given the 40+ miles distance between the schools, assuming you are in catchment for Kendrick, are you planning to move if you get a place at HBS and not Kendrick?

(Btw If you aren’t already in catchment for Kendrick by the end of August, then I wouldn’t bother having your DD take the test. She is very unlikely to get a place.)
yes we are in the catchment for Kendrick. HB is more of a "lets give the test and see what we get". My DD's teacher suggested there is minimal difference between Kendrick and HB when it comes to comparing grammer schools not sure if that is true or not?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I have no real idea about HB as we never considered it. We wouldn’t have thought about moving.
DD has been at Kendrick for 6 years (about to start year 13) and has been happy there, it was the right school for her, but isn’t for everyone.

If you are going to consider HB then I’d advise visiting beforehand (if you haven’t already if you are serious about moving for the school. I wouldn’t have contemplated moving for ANY school without seeing it, regardless of where it might be on any league table.

After 6 years of secondary school, and hearing what other parents say about secondary schools, the one think I really know is how important going to the right School is. DD has been supported well pastorally when needed, which has helped her tremendously.

From what I see there’s no real academic difference between the two. Certainly not enough to warrant moving for one if you were in with a place at the other either way.
grammerplusplus

Tinkers wrote:I have no real idea about HB as we never considered it. We wouldn’t have thought about moving.
DD has been at Kendrick for 6 years (about to start year 13) and has been happy there, it was the right school for her, but isn’t for everyone.

If you are going to consider HB then I’d advise visiting beforehand (if you haven’t already if you are serious about moving for the school. I wouldn’t have contemplated moving for ANY school without seeing it, regardless of where it might be on any league table.

After 6 years of secondary school, and hearing what other parents say about secondary schools, the one think I really know is how important going to the right School is. DD has been supported well pastorally when needed, which has helped her tremendously.

From what I see there’s no real academic difference between the two. Certainly not enough to warrant moving for one if you were in with a place at the other either way.
thanks , that's exactly where we are with this i.e. not going to move for HB but wont mind giving the test to see where we stand. Still keen on knowing what is a good indicator when it comes scores of practice papers.

We really dont have a lot to compare against so i am interested in knowing if she is consitently getting 75%+ on practice papers is that good enough.?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My DD took the old GL test for Kendrick so I don’t really know about CEM.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now