Slough Consortium exam and individual school application

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
YZMA

Slough Consortium exam and individual school application

Post by YZMA »

Hello

We have applied for Slough consortium for DS.
But in Jun/Jul we only registered with Langley GS. Now we wanted to apply for a 2nd Slough grammar school. I wonder if we have missed the deadline as we didn't apply directly with this school in Jun/Jul.

My understanding is that this year you have to register with the individual school as well as the consortium test.

Thank you in advance for your advice
11plu5parent

Re: Slough Consortium exam and individual school application

Post by 11plu5parent »

YZMA wrote: My understanding is that this year you have to register with the individual school as well
What is the source of this information. I thought the whole purpose of consortium was that you register in one place and sit exam. Once you get the result then you are supposed to put individual school on the CAF.
YZMA

Post by YZMA »

Thank you 11plu5parent

I may have misunderstood the policy.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

11plu5parent wrote:
YZMA wrote: My understanding is that this year you have to register with the individual school as well
What is the source of this information. I thought the whole purpose of consortium was that you register in one place and sit exam. Once you get the result then you are supposed to put individual school on the CAF.
In Gloucestershire (I think), you only register for the exam in one place, but also have to stipulate in advance which school(s) you are interested in, as each school's cohort of applicants is standardised separately. With our local consortium (Essex and Southend), you register centrally and the cohort is standardised as a whole, with the resultant score being used for application to any relevant school in the group. So places do do things differently. I'd have thought the 'Registering for the 11+' or whatever they call it tab on the school's / consortium (if it exists as a separate administrative entity) website would have the definitive answer?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

YZMA wrote:Thank you 11plu5parent

Maybe not?

From what I have been reading, things seem to be slightly different this year?
In previous years, you filled in a general online application form which covered all 4 grammar schools and in July you received an email stating which school you have been allocated for the test.

This info here seems to say things are being done slightly differently this year https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... lus/slough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says that you apply to take the test at your first choice school.
Please correct me if i've read this wrongly!

If this is the case, I'm not sure how it's going to work as previously, applicants were divided equally amongst the 4 schools, surely this will upset the balance and could make the most popular school top heavy on exam day? Guess it will be clear on the 14th!

I would have thought you can still put any of the other grammar schools on your CAF due in end Oct.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

rhiane wrote:
YZMA wrote:Thank you 11plu5parent

Maybe not?

From what I have been reading, things seem to be slightly different this year?
In previous years, you filled in a general online application form which covered all 4 grammar schools and in July you received an email stating which school you have been allocated for the test.

This info here seems to say things are being done slightly differently this year https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... lus/slough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says that you apply to take the test at your first choice school.

Please correct me if i've read this wrongly!

If this is the case, I'm not sure how it's going to work as previously, applicants were divided equally amongst the 4 schools, surely this will upset the balance and could make the most popular school top heavy on exam day? Guess it will be clear on the 14th!

I would have thought you can still put any of the other grammar schools on your CAF due in end Oct.
Having read in more depth I'm now not sure if/how you apply to the Slough Grammars you didn't register with at the tme of registering for the exam?

"If you are interested in more than one school, you MUST register with EACH school, according to their admissions policy and indicate where your child will sit the test. Your child’s scores can only be shared with those schools for which they are registered"

I'm a bit confused, things seem very different this year!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This is could be interesting. I wonder how many haven’t got this sussed out. It’s not something I have looked at. Slough admissions confuses me a little at the best of times.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Tinkers wrote:This is could be interesting. I wonder how many haven’t got this sussed out. It’s not something I have looked at. Slough admissions confuses me a little at the best of times.
I agree, each school is sooooo different and they seem to change every year!

After reading that link I am lost! I have searched the web but I can't find any other info.

Maybe parents who have a DC taking the exam on the 14th can enlighten us as to what their exam registration info said!

I honestly can't see how that system could work! surely you could end up 3000+ of the 4000 (very ish!) taking the exam at just 1 of the 4 schools and the same applying to that school, seriously upsetting the balance.

I have to be reading this wrongly!
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

rhiane wrote:
Tinkers wrote:This is could be interesting. I wonder how many haven’t got this sussed out. It’s not something I have looked at. Slough admissions confuses me a little at the best of times.
I agree, each school is sooooo different and they seem to change every year!

After reading that link I am lost! I have searched the web but I can't find any other info.

Maybe parents who have a DC taking the exam on the 14th can enlighten us as to what their exam registration info said!

I honestly can't see how that system could work! surely you could end up 3000+ of the 4000 (very ish!) taking the exam at just 1 of the 4 schools and the same applying to that school, seriously upsetting the balance.

I have to be reading this wrongly!
I think I may be reading the info on the above link (from elevenplusexams website) wrongly? As the info on The Slough Consortium website contradicts it! maybe where it says you must register with each school, it means certain schools such as Reading/Kendrick/Woodford etc but does not include the Slough Consortium, where you would register once for all 4?

The info from the Slough Consortium makes more sense, which is no different to previous years "The next step is for your child to actually sit the 11+ entrance examination. Testing will take place on Saturday 14 September 2019 for all candidates irrespective of their home address or current primary school. There will be four examination centres in Slough and your child will be allocated a centre on the basis of their primary school and postcode. You will be advised of your test centre and test arrangements by email before the end of the summer term, using the email address you have provided on the registration form"

Think I need to let his lie now and get a nice strong coffee
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now