Increase a number

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bluewhale

Increase a number

Post by Bluewhale »

In the seemingly easy question me and my dc disagreed so I’d like to ask for help.

Increase 5.56 by 1/10.

Do we simply add o.1 to 5.56 (my dc’s solution)
Do we find 1/10 of 5.56 and add it to 5.56 (my solution, or am I over complicating things?)

Thanks a lot for help!
loobylou

Re: Increase a number

Post by loobylou »

I would do it your way.
But if the question is worded like that then I think your ds is justified in answering it his way too.
It's not well worded.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It is very poorly worded. If DC of this stage are really not expected to understand 'increase by 10%', then it should read 'by 1/10th / 1/10th of itself, if the setter means, as one suspects they do 'what is 110% of 5.56?'
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bluewhale

Post by Bluewhale »

It is actually a question from Withington maths papers and they have a similar one come up each year, like 2014, then 2015. These are supposed to be good papers. So on the end, which answer should I go for when telling my dc what to do..? :?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Actually, thinking about it, your DC may be right - one interpretation of the aim of the question is to check recognition of the correct placement of a value given as a fraction (i.e. '1 divided by 10') in a number given to two decimal places?

Presumably the school doesn't provide an answer sheet?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bluewhale

Post by Bluewhale »

No, no answer sheets :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now