Watch query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brackenboo

Watch query

Post by Brackenboo »

Will my DD be allowed to have a digital watch like a baby G as I'm concerned it will be disallowed as it has the ability to be a stop watch although she doesn't know how to do it.
Tinkers

Re: Watch query

Post by Tinkers »

I think most schools disallow digital watches, as they could be used as stopwatches, even if they cant or the child doesn’t know how. The staff have no idea of the watch does or doesn’t have that function and can’t be expected to check every one.

Some schools do not allow watches at all.

The school should publish test day information and the rules on watches will probably be stated on there.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Thanks the text says, Candidates are not allowed.... Mobile phones, stopwatches, watches that beep or study notes. So I was thinking if a digital watch doesn't beep is that ok?
Phoenix-Mum

Post by Phoenix-Mum »

As I understood no digital watches are allowed
You can't expect the invigilators to know if that specific watch has a stopwatch function or not so I think there is an understandable blanket ban on digital

I wouldn't risk it, just in case they do take it of her.
reach4thesky

Post by reach4thesky »

The information letter I received on Sep 1st from Denmark Road school clearly says no watches allowed.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Brackenboo wrote:Thanks the text says, Candidates are not allowed.... Mobile phones, stopwatches, watches that beep or study notes. So I was thinking if a digital watch doesn't beep is that ok?
If it has the capacity to be a stopwatch then it is NOT allowed. Think of it this way - you know your dd doesn't know how to use the stopwatch facility so she goes in - half way through an invigilator notices the watch and knows it has a stopwatch facility - the invigilator doesn't know that your dd doesn't know how to use it - that is irrelevant - it says clearly in the rules no stopwatch - dd test is voided.....That would be completely your fault.

Tell your dd to look at the clock on the wall - if she cannot see it clearly as she sits down, tell the invigilator immediately - or teach her to use an analogue clock - quite often analogue closks feature in the maths section anyway, so it will be useful learning.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Hi,

Thanks all. That is what I thought, but wanted to double check. She can use an analogue watch, just thinks it will take her longer. Think it's last minute wobbles making her worry.

We're going to look for a new analogue watch after school.
Phoenix-Mum

Post by Phoenix-Mum »

reach4thesky wrote:The information letter I received on Sep 1st from Denmark Road school clearly says no watches allowed.
None at all?
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

That's different to the Ribston letter then which seems to allow watches that don't beep.

Phoenix-Mum where is your DC sorting and have you had the info letter?
Phoenix-Mum

Post by Phoenix-Mum »

Brackenboo wrote:That's different to the Ribston letter then which seems to allow watches that don't beep.

Phoenix-Mum where is your DC sorting and have you had the info letter?
My daughter is also taking the test at Ribston, so had the same letter as you.
My daughter has a basic silicone band type sport watch (similar look to a fitbit) that literally just has 4 numbers on the display, but I've bought a cheap analogue for the test, I wouldn't want to risk it even though it doesn't beep or have any other functions.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now