computer123's thread

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mike1880

Re: Bursary application - outgoings

Post by mike1880 »

I used to pull down bank statements for a few months and sort them into payee and work out from that what went under what heading and construct an average from that. Ours tended to add up to more than we had coming in and and it always appeared to me that someone (and it wasn't me :? ) was spending a lot more than their fair share of our income!

It would have been extremely helpful for budgeting for us to work entirely in cash and cheques but that's really not very practical any more.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Well, hopefully, if there isn't a lot left then you should be a good candidate for a bursary! Most of the schools will ask for your last years bank statements, savings, investments/savings for children. The income levels for assistance were quite high for the London schools and you can have a few K in savings without it affecting the bursary. They will look at any assets and work out whether you can release equity/downsize and would expect you both to work full time unless there are caring responsibilities.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Have you remembered clothing? We were asked about that.

Also, the equity in your house if you are home owners. If you work part time you may be asked why you don't work full time.

Some of the London independents do have a quite high threshold I believe. However, in other areas it is much lower.

We applied at one point on average salaries and with me working part-time so pro rata-d (not sure what you consider modest?) but it was still too high, factoring in equity.
Almostover

Re: Pre Tests

Post by Almostover »

schooling123 wrote:Please could anyone who had experience with this - is it better to take different tests on different days, to spread pressure?

Thank you.
Not have experience myself yet, but a few friends have had. In all cases their prep schools (4 different ones) have it on 2 days. One day math, one day English.

Seems sensible to me!
computer123

Interview

Post by computer123 »

which resources would you recommend for preparing or the interview - current affairs, debate topics.

Thank you
Daogroupie

Re: computer123's thread

Post by Daogroupie »

Watch the news every day and discuss it.

Read the primary school newspaper, First News. You can get it delivered on subscription.

Worth every penny. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now