Study plan

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ciaowood

Study plan

Post by ciaowood »

Hi, my youngest has just started Year 5 and so I'm beginning the 11+ prep and wondered whether you think this is a fair plan...

We have a tutor for an hour each week plus I'm thinking of filling any gaps for maths etc up until Christmas to make sure she's confident with her knowledge. During this time also, we'll do a couple of math questions together and alternate with comp, vr nvr and vocab tests so I'm thinking 2.5 hours in total per week, including her tutor. Reading is a nightly routine anyway.

After Christmas I'm thinking of replacing gap filling with tests for all subjects and then from Easter focussing on time.

Does this sound ok? I've read loads but I'm stressing a bit

Thanks.
RuedeWakening

Re: Study plan

Post by RuedeWakening »

My son is also 9 and in year 5, we are just starting on the journey again (having been through it 3 years ago with his sister, now in year 8). We don't have a tutor but do try and do something most days - currently about 10-20 minutes at a time.

We are mostly concentrating on reading, vocab and times tables till Christmas, with a little comprehension and maths word problems/covering stuff not yet learnt. Then up to Easter we'll add some creative writing, comprehension, and more maths word problems.

From Easter we'll do comprehension, creative writing, mental maths, word problems, and mock tests/exam technique/timing. He'll do about 3 or 4 mocks a few weeks apart so we can tweak approaches in between and hopefully see some improvement.

His exams are in 2 stages but only feature English and Maths so we don't need to look at VR/NVR.
ciaowood

Re: Study plan

Post by ciaowood »

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. Good luck with your son.