11 plus exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Charlize99

11 plus exam

Post by Charlize99 »

Ds took exam today content edited by moderator - he was so upset when I went to collect him. Any advice on how to keep him positive

Many thanks
Daogroupie

Re: 11 plus exam

Post by Daogroupie »

Focus on what he did manage to do in the exam rather than what he didn't do.

Also the knowledge he has gained preparing for the 11 plus will serve him well in Y7 of whichever school he goes to.

Every exam he does will prepare him for the next one even if the next one is an internal exam in Y7.

Hopefully he will have gained experience from some of the things that did not go so well for him this time.

It may seem bad now but he will bounce back.

He will soon be very involved with the demands of a new school year and the memory of the exam will fade.

If he found it hard it is likely that many other students will have found the same.

It will have been unpleasant for him while he was in the exam so do not dwell on it and focus on other things in his life that are coming up that he can look forward to. DG
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As DG says and also remind him of all the fun things that will happen in Year 6 - most do residentials, school plays etc. And remind him that you are super proud of him for sitting it - it is NOT about the result - it is about the effort he put in and that has been and gone so now you move on.

Please do not discuss content with anyone, however - even people who tell you their child has sat it - the test will be used right up until the end of August - there are people sitting it today and there is a late sitting for those who are unwell in a week or so - teliing anyone anything gives them a direct advantage - there are tutors scouring sites like this as soon as the first sitting comes out, looking for any clues they can pass on to their tutees - even one Verbal Reasoning question could be the difference....
Charlize99

Post by Charlize99 »

Thank you to all that have replied - of course you are right. He’s a good kid and I know he will thrive whoever he ends up, he was happy this morning to not have to study any more material for the exam.

He does have a residential coming up and we will focus on that as well as Christmas back in France.

I assure you nothing will be discussed - I’m aware of tests still being taken.

Good luck to everyone who has sat it as well as those who are sitting it.
I’m glad it’s over for us, I’m not sure who’s happier me or him!
Xx
SarahJ

Post by SarahJ »

My daughter found it very tiring and came out exhausted. I think that’s mostly the experience of working silently in an exam hall for that long, which at ten they’re just not used to. We’re glad it’s over now and she’s looking forward to exciting trips in year 6.
Charlize99

Post by Charlize99 »

Hi SarahJ
I think you are very right - the pressure was intense. We are sure glad it’s over, I’m guessing everyone is waiting for results before applying for secondary places.
YouLando

Post by YouLando »

My daughter was very disheartened after the exam yesterday, she seemed to find it very hard, especially the maths, so I'm preparing myself for possibly disappointing results...
She didn't tell me very much about it, and just seemed very quiet and glum. Like everyone else, we'll point out all the positives for Year 6. They've all done so well in getting to the exam day, and I feel gutted for her that she wasn't a bit happier afterwards.
Charlize99

Post by Charlize99 »

Hi YouLando
My DS was exactly the same - he looked so upset and said the paper was harder than all previous mocks. We are also preparing for disappointing results ..... such a shame as he was doing so well up until the test. Well done to all the children who sat it though - I take my hat off to all of them.
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

My son took it last year, but after speaking to Mum’s at the school gate this morning, the general consensus was that the Maths section was indeed very hard.

Well done to all the children who took it and good luck x
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

My DH took and collected DS from the exam as DD had a competition elsewhere, we were a bit unhappy that he had the Saturday afternoon session as there was a lot of time to worry before going in. He seemed to deal with the wait ok in the end. He came out relieved and happy said it was a mix of ok and hard, my concern is that he hasn't got the greatest attention to detail so we have no idea how it may have gone.
Well done to all the children who sat, it is a horrible thing for our children to have to go through, I so wish I hadn't moved to a grammar school area pre-children!