Do I need a tutor?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mahvash

Do I need a tutor?

Post by Mahvash »

Hi all,
I am new to the country and know nothing about 11+.This forum is helping me and guiding me through.My daughter is in Year 5 now.She will take her test next year.We live in Hemel Hempstead.Would you recommend a tutor for 11+ prep or is it better to prep her myself.As per my understanding from this thread,Consortium schools have only two papers;Maths and VR;Is that correct?
Regards,
Mahvash
watfordmum2018

Re: Do I need a tutor?

Post by watfordmum2018 »

My daughter decided she wanted to do the test in the April before the test date. After some research I realized we had some catching up to do for preparation as it was relatively close to the exam. We did try a tutor but I quickly realized I could tutor her myself and so we stopped paying for tutoring. What the tutor was good for was getting her to realize how much work she would need to do and so it was easier for her to do practice papers without me having to nag. She did well and although initially was on the academic wait list for Parmiter's, she got in and is thriving there. In my opinion you don't need a tutor as long as you can get them to practice and work with you. Good luck!
matp123

Post by matp123 »

If you are new to this country and not sure how the system works, it may be worthwhile either hiring a tutor or sending your DC to group tutoring. There are various courses. My DD just did SW Herts exam and went for group tutoring. Course definitely helped her. As per the forum rules, we are not allowed to recommend courses/tutors.
Only Maths and VR for SW Herts exam. Maths 50 questions and VR 80 questions- 50minutes each.
Otter

Post by Otter »

Depending on your child, it's for you to decide if you think she would be better with a tutor or not.

If you're new to the country I don't expect Maths to be much different for what she may have been taught elsewhere, but getting 11+ revision books would give you an indication of what level she would expect.

As for verbal reasoning, if English is not her first language then I would recommend tutoring.

Note that Hemel Hempstead may be too distant for schools' catchment, you ought to check that your postcode (first part of) is listed in catchment areas for the school(s) you are interested in.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

How long have you been in the country?

The vocab may be more advanced than what you are used to if you have not been here long. DG
watfordmum2018

Post by watfordmum2018 »

A number of kids from Hemel Hempstead get into Parmiter's, it is one of the priority post codes. You would need to check eligibility for the other consortium schools. Some also take the Buckinghamshire 11+ test for Chesham.