Fractured writing arm!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Superstarxxx

Fractured writing arm!

Post by Superstarxxx »

My daughter is due to be sitting The Medway Test next week and has fractured her arm! We have 2 options. She can take it a week later with a scribe or take it with the late sitters at the end of October. Don’t know which is the best option. I can’t imagine her telling someone what she wants to write for her creative writing and how on earth would she get someone to scribe workings out for the maths test. Please let me know your thoughts ***
kenyancowgirl

Re: Fractured writing arm!

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It does depend a bit on the fracture - some of them are pretty stable and may not preclude her from writing herself - most of the tests don't require excessive writing (except if there is the creative writing). Working with a scribe is a bit of a skill - those who have a scribe through their everyday lessons are usually pretty adept at it - those like your daughter who are new to it, can find it more complicated - you have to tell them the punctuation and capital letters and (in GCSE/A levels are supposed to spell the words too).

Most fractures fix themselves in a couple of weeks so any time "off sport" after that is just a precaution - assumably it is a stable fracture as you have not mentioned needing any form of surgery? If she does not feel comfortable with the thought of a scribe delay till end of October - however, double check if you will be given the results before the CAF deadline and that she would not be considered as a late applicant.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have worked as a scribe for students who have been unable to write.

They basically just have to think out loud and you record what they are saying.

My dd's friend sat DAO and then went to the park to celebrate and fell off the swing and broke her arm.

She had HBS two days later and used a scribe and got a place.

I would recommend doing it now with a scribe. She will soon get used to it and she really does not want to keep on preparing for six weeks while everyone else is celebrating the end of 11 plus!

It really is quite straightforward. DG
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

My sister broke her arm for her gcses and had a scribe. I'm sure it's why her results were so good. No way she'd have got the grades she did had she done her own exam :lol: