Head teachers review

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kentish maid

Head teachers review

Post by kentish maid »

Does anyone know whether the HT review deals with just fail/ borderline pass cases or whether they also consider borderline selective/ super selective cases as well. I assume it is just the fail/ pass they look out but can anyone confirm this?
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

I think it is just the pass/fail as technically you only need a pass for a super selective - it is just because they have so many applications and need to apply oversubscription criteria that you end up with them only taking children with very high scores.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes the Headteacher's review in Kent is for fails that the headteacher considers should have passed.
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi,

for what it is worth, our head appealed for Christopehr, but was not accepted. However he was accepted at formal appeal.

Again, I do stand to be corrected, but in the year we appealed for Christopher, we knew of several Heads appeal that all failed, but were later accepted on formal appeal.

Dont give up hope

god bless

Cindy
Janedingdong

Post by Janedingdong »

I thought that if a head teacher appealed and it failed - as a parent you couldn't then do so yourself? I am wrong?

Jane
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

No you can still appeal in Kent even though the headteachers appeal fails.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

There's a lot of stuff on the Appeals section about the new code of practice which you need to read to answer this question properly.
Janedingdong

Post by Janedingdong »

Thanks. I have just had a quick look at the Appeals Section as suggested and I can already feel a headache coming on!!

Why can't there just be an easy answer to an easy question.

Just praying that I won't need to appeal when the time comes.

However, if I do - its great to know that there are lots of you out there with advice and help should it be needed.

Jane
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

My advice would be to speak to the KCC well beforehand (sooner rather than later!) to find out what the appeals system will be - and try and get something in writing.

I say that because this year, most of us had the living daylights scared out of us, because it initially appeared that we may not be able to appeal because the HT had already done an appeal (unbeknownst to us!) Fortuntately, that has not been the case, but there has certainly been a lot of confusion and distress caused by the new code of practice, and some people's interpretation of this.

Obviously, it's 'all change' this year, so things in Kent will (presumably) be very different - and I would hate you to end up in a situation where options were taken out of your hands quite unwittingly, because those in the system weren't sure of protocols etc. 11+ is stressful enough as it is without all this going on in the background.

So my advice is, arm yourself with as much info as you can, direct from the KCC themselves (who, I have found, are very helpful), so that you know what to do well in advance.

Good luck - will be thinking of you all this year - will help and support where possible!
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

I believe it is in Medway where a failed HT review means you cannot then appeal but I stand to be corrected!

Can anyone cast any light on the MGS 'super-selective' issue? I was told that this is still 'with the adjudicator' and so may either not happen or be deferred so as not to introduce too many changes in one year. Wishful thinking though DS got 396 in recent CAT things..