Any news on future catchment areas for Sutton grammars?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Home_alone

Any news on future catchment areas for Sutton grammars?

Post by Home_alone »

I've heard a rumour that Bishop Veseys and Sutton Girls may be considering introducing catchment areas for 2021 entry. I'm wondering if this is just speculation, does anyone have any firm information?
mitasol

Re: Any news on future catchment areas for Sutton grammars?

Post by mitasol »

Check their website. If they want to change the admissions policy they need to hold a consultation.

The consultation must last for a minimum of 6 weeks and must take place between 1 October and 31 January in the determination year.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Home_alone wrote:I've heard a rumour that Bishop Veseys and Sutton Girls may be considering introducing catchment areas for 2021 entry. I'm wondering if this is just speculation, does anyone have any firm information?
I dont know whether it is true or not.

However if it happens it is something that some of us have anticipated. The catchment changes for the Birmingham grammars were going to negatively affect local children near grammar schools in neighbouring areas. Those neighbouring schools would be wise to consider the impact before introducing their own changes. It does now seem non sensical when children are traveling from the other side of the Birmingham conurbation to them even though their local grammars if they have them, have local catchments.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Agreed quasi - and also suspect that Warks will be looking very closely too - and may consider their options on introducing a catchment possibly.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think we're all expecting to see a large increase in applications to the Sutton Coldfield schools from the Solihull area in particular this year. It's entirely possible (but not certain) that the governing bodies would want to consider whether that's in anyone's best interests, especially that of children travelling very long distances for what is in most respects the standard English state education experience.

South Warwickshire of course already has a catchment of sorts (which a cynic might call "as much of Worcestershire as we can squeeze in while including the least possible amount of Birmingham"). I imagine they too will have a large uptick in applications from Solihull this year and might or might not want to review how they currently draw that line next year.

Mike
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

They have had an increase in numbers from Solihull - one of the further points in their 17 mile priority circle.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

How many travel to the Sutton grammars from outside the local 'catchment' now?

If they have an increase in applications from those who would historically have gone to a king edward school, their cut off scores will likely rise. Depends whether the governors see this as a good thing vs travel time.
Home_alone

Post by Home_alone »

Wildfuture wrote:How many travel to the Sutton grammars from outside the local 'catchment' now?

If they have an increase in applications from those who would historically have gone to a king edward school, their cut off scores will likely rise. Depends whether the governors see this as a good thing vs travel time.

That was my thoughts too - dependent on whether the board of governors value drawing pupils from the local population or prefer the prestige of gaining the highest scoring children from across the region. Official comments appear non-existent currently!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

BVGS has been advertising in The Lichfield Mercury lately. The Lichfield to Four Oaks journey on train is quick and easy - it's 9.5 miles in distance, so will be interesting to see what a cut off distance would be, should this come in.

When we looked round a few years ago, there were some Solihull families asking about school buses. Just last week on here a parent was asking about travel from Shirley to Sutton Girls, which is around 20 miles.

I expect the schools will bring in a catchment sooner rather than later.
TheThinEndOfTheWedge

Post by TheThinEndOfTheWedge »

Just got back from Sutton Girls open evening and the answer to whether they were considering introducing catchment was a resounding 'No!'.

The staff in the admissions room didn't seem to think that the KEGS schools new catchments would have any affect at all on their admissions (entry scores etc) and were fairly dismissive of any concerns raised. It was a little disappointing, to be honest.

I really hope that if enough parents raise the question tonight, they might reconsider...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now