Crypt split

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Brackenboo

Crypt split

Post by Brackenboo »

Hi, just wondered if anyone knew roughly what the boy/girl ratio is at Crypt now? I know the first year it was just under a third I think?
cazien

Re: Crypt split

Post by cazien »

40 girls started this year, the Head stated he was a little disappointed with that number and would like to see this grow year-on-year.
Obviously there are also girls in year 12/13 so there are now 4 years with females.
Phoenix-Mum

Post by Phoenix-Mum »

cazien wrote:40 girls started this year, the Head stated he was a little disappointed with that number and would like to see this grow year-on-year.
Obviously there are also girls in year 12/13 so there are now 4 years with females.
Is that the same as last year? Or a little less?
Less than 1/3 is a bit disappointing
cazien

Post by cazien »

I think it is less - if I remember correctly just under 50 started last year.
jearund

Post by jearund »

On the plus side, for those of us with boys it increases our chance of getting a place - bearing in mind that with Crypt going co-ed there are now significantly more places for girls than boys....
cazien

Post by cazien »

jearund wrote:On the plus side, for those of us with boys it increases our chance of getting a place - bearing in mind that with Crypt going co-ed there are now significantly more places for girls than boys....
I can understand your point of view but...… technically there is not more places for girls than boys, depending on how you look at it :? . As there are at least 300 places up-for-grabs in co-ed all of those could go to boys! It just means more boys have to do better in the test than girls. I know girls are gaining more places at Pates then ever before, (and they also seem to be achieving better GCSE/A-level results as well) Pates used to be very male dominated. But if you want a single sex school then yes, there are more places for girls.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Thanks, I thought it would have gone up so interesting to see it was slightly less. My DD is interested in Ribston and Crypt, I just want the results to hurry up :roll: :D
jearund

Post by jearund »

cazien wrote:
jearund wrote:On the plus side, for those of us with boys it increases our chance of getting a place - bearing in mind that with Crypt going co-ed there are now significantly more places for girls than boys....
I can understand your point of view but...… technically there is not more places for girls than boys, depending on how you look at it :? . As there are at least 300 places up-for-grabs in co-ed all of those could go to boys! It just means more boys have to do better in the test than girls. I know girls are gaining more places at Pates then ever before, (and they also seem to be achieving better GCSE/A-level results as well) Pates used to be very male dominated. But if you want a single sex school then yes, there are more places for girls.
I stand corrected - you're right and I didn't explain that very clearly. But yes, assuming boys and girls perform(ed) roughly equally in the exam, there will be more places for girls than boys:
Boys: 150 Tommies, 150 Marling, 75 Pates, 75 Crypt (=450 places). If only 50 girls at most take up places at Crypt then that could be Crypt=100, total=475.

Girls: 150 Denmark Road, 150 Ribston, 150 Stoud High, 75 Pates, 75 Crypt (=600 places). If only 50 girls take up places at Crypt then that could be Crypt=50, total=575.

Either way I reckon there will be a good 100 or so extra places going to girls compared to the amount going to boys. So yes, the competition is fiercer for boys.

Brackenboo, I feel the same as you. Just waiting for these 3 weeks to pass so we can be put out of our misery!
Mamaofthree

Post by Mamaofthree »

cazien wrote:

But there are more places for girls as there’s three girls only schools and only two boys only schools, and two co-Ed?
Phoenix-Mum

Post by Phoenix-Mum »

If Crypt and Pates 'had' to have a 50/50 split then it could definitely be argued that there are more spaces for girls. However Pates is often known for being boy heavy (not sure what this year's split is) and over 2/3rds of Crypt places are filled with boys also so I expect the numbers of boys/girls in grammar is now pretty equal