My dc had guessed 12 questions in CEM test

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11pluswaiting

My dc had guessed 12 questions in CEM test

Post by 11pluswaiting »

My dc had guessed 12 questions in CEM test and we are waiting for the results , what are the chances for him to qualify in CEM please
Zoot

Re: My dc had guessed 12 questions in CEM test

Post by Zoot »

Well... have you checked to see how good he is at guessing? flip a coin 12 times and see how many he gets right maybe. Or guessing the colour of 12 cars that go past your house.

He will do less well than those in the test who were quick and could answer the questions and better than those who left the questions without answering them.

Flippancy aside, the test is about time management and I think a lot of children don't answer all the questions. Guessing is a good strategy if time is short. Educated guessing is better.

I wish your son well. It is tough to wait.
11pluswaiting

Post by 11pluswaiting »

Well... have you checked to see how good he is at guessing? flip a coin 12 times and see how many he gets right maybe. Or guessing the colour of 12 cars that go past your house.

He will do less well than those in the test who were quick and could answer the questions and better than those who left the questions without answering them.

Flippancy aside, the test is about time management and I think a lot of children don't answer all the questions. Guessing is a good strategy if time is short. Educated guessing is better.

I wish your son well. It is tough to wait.

:) I like ur sense of humour about flipping a coin and guessing the colour of 12 cars.
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

Depends if he guesses correctly :wink:
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Impossible to say what his chances are, depends on how many he got right from what he completed!

Guessing only 12 is actually really good, many DC don't finish the paper and leave blank/guess a lot more than 12, including my 2 DC when they took the CEM 11+ in 2014 and 2017.
RedDevil66

Post by RedDevil66 »

11pluswaiting wrote:My dc had guessed 12 questions in CEM test and we are waiting for the results , what are the chances for him to qualify in CEM please
Is this a probability question :?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

RedDevil66 wrote:
11pluswaiting wrote:My dc had guessed 12 questions in CEM test and we are waiting for the results , what are the chances for him to qualify in CEM please
Is this a probability question :?
With possible answers ranging from Not a feline in Hades', if he guessed poorly and didn't do well in the ones he answered 'properly', to better than someone who got 12 questions wrong, if he got all the other questions right and at least some of his guesses were good as well.

So it's anyone's guess, really. Sorry, OP.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Nella

Post by Nella »

Ha! My dc guessed 12 as well- we could compare notes :D
They could have done very well or extremely badly. Depends on how many they got correct out of the total number of questions which in itself remains a mystery :wink:
Thomas1979

Post by Thomas1979 »

A girl in my son's class guessed 80% of the questions in her math test (at school) and got almost all of them right.

Very unlikely to happen but it is possible.

It does make you wonder if this has ever happened and a low-ability child has been given a place at a grammar school due to pure luck, only to struggle to keep up. Can they be asked to move schools?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Thomas1979 wrote:A girl in my son's class guessed 80% of the questions in her math test (at school) and got almost all of them right.

Very unlikely to happen but it is possible.

It does make you wonder if this has ever happened and a low-ability child has been given a place at a grammar school due to pure luck, only to struggle to keep up. Can they be asked to move schools?
No, permanent exclusions (which that would be - see the St Olaves sixth form case of 2017) can only be made on disciplinary grounds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ersion.pdf

3. The head teacher’s power to exclude

A guide to the law2
, para. 13

It is unlawful to exclude for a non-disciplinary reason. For example, it would be
unlawful to exclude a pupil simply because they have additional needs or a disability that
the school feels it is unable to meet, or for a reason such as: academic attainment/ability...

So a pupil who 'got lucky' by guessing can no more, legally, be asked to leave because they have difficulty keeping up than the one struggling to cope, having been tutored for hours a week for years prior to the exam and encouraged to believe that nothing taught in year 6 subsequent to it is of any relevance to them, can be asked to leave :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now