CEM test Trafford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fantabulous

CEM test Trafford

Post by Fantabulous »

Hi,

I was just wondering whether there were any 11+ exam successes out there in Trafford? My dd came out of the exam last Monday feeling deflated and is convinced she hasn't passed. She started that one section of NVR was difficult and that guessed about 13 of the questions. Her NVR is usually spot on.
How many questions can one get away with getting wrong?
Did anyone else’s children feel this way? :roll:
poppety

Re: CEM test Trafford

Post by poppety »

Hi there. My child took the test last year and felt exactly the same. She came out quite deflated and said that she had left out quite a few nvr questions in one section and had also guessed quite a few. We were quite worried as she had always been quite confident with NVR. Based on how she was when she came out we thought that there was a strong possibility that she wouldn't pass. After a month of me stressing over it the results arrived and she had passed for all 4 schools very comfortably (highest mark was almost 40 marks above the pass mark). It could be that everyone had found the NVR difficult so it had been standardised accordingly or that she had done exceptionally well in other areas - who knows. So yes, it is possible to leave questions out and still pass! Good luck for your DD - it's not nice waiting for the results but she will hopefully be fine x
Fantabulous

Post by Fantabulous »

Hi Poppety and thanks for your reply.

I think the fact that all of the other children she knew found the test easy made her feel worse. She said the NVR was the biggest section. She is also a summer born so this may have hindered her.
She seems fine about it it's just me thinking about it and feeling bad for her.
It's great getting some support about this so thanks.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Children are notoriously ineffective at knowing how well they have done. Often children who have found it very easy do not pass, as they have not understood what has been asked of them, and those that find it hard might do well. They have no clue how bright the cohort taking the test are and that has an affect on how well they do relatively.

Just take a deep breath and wait for results.
Fantabulous

Post by Fantabulous »

Thanks Kenyoncowgirl you have a very good point.
I'm ok just rubbish at waiting for things to happen lol.
She usually does well so I think it's just strange that she found things harder than usual. Are you waiting for results too?
poppety

Post by poppety »

I agree with Kenyancowgirl - I know of children who came out of the test saying it was all fine and then didn't pass (or just scraped through). It really is hard to tell from what the child says.
Fantabulous

Post by Fantabulous »

Thanks Poppy.

It's nice to hear success stories when chips are down. It's a funny game this 11+ malarkey isn't it?
poppety

Post by poppety »

Ahh yes - a stressful process! I'm trying to not think about the fact that I will have to go through it all again in a few years! x
Fantabulous

Post by Fantabulous »

Sorry to both you and Kenyancowgirl it seems my spell checker changed your names.

That's one consolation for me at least I don't have to do this again - tbh I don't think I would. The whole process is so unfair. Anyway thanks for your response.
Trafmum82

Post by Trafmum82 »

Hi,

My DD also took the test for Trafford this year and found the NVR very hard - she thinks she had to miss something between the last 10-15 questions (she did guess them, so she has put a mark in the box and just did that quickly at the end). VR and NVR she is usually strong on with Maths being her weakest - she also had to guess approx 5/7 questions on the second maths.

No idea if she will pass or not a dit’s stressful waiting isn’t it. I’ve heard a lot of feedback that quite a few found the NVR tricky.

When she first came out she said she had found it fine, but then when she has talked to me later it’s clear she did have timing issues, so maybe the ones who said it was easy were just relieved it was over and it was the first thing they said when they came out?

I’ve stopped asking her about it now as her answer changes depending on who she speaks to so I honestly don’t think they have any idea how it went!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now