Are the entry requirements for predicted A levels enough?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

Are the entry requirements for predicted A levels enough?

Post by Catseye »

Are the stated entry A level requirements (A*A A) for Oxford realistically competitive from a high performing school?

My daughter has decided to apply to Oxford (Mansfield College) to read Geography. She got 4x9s and 4 8s and one 7 in her gcse's ..so effectively 8A* and one A in old money. Her predicted A level grades are A*A A or possibly A*A*A after an impending review from a high performing grammar school (AGGS) but her results will be contextualized probably negatively w.r.t to most other state schools.

My question is; if she doesn't manage to up her grade in Geography (of all subjects ) to an A* does she have a realistic competitive chance to apply to Oxford or would we be better off using that uccas slot for another uni? Her GAT (Geography Aptitude Test) is scheduled for the 31st of Oct.
hermanmunster

Re: Are the entry requirements for predicted A levels enough

Post by hermanmunster »

There is an unpredictabilty to Oxford offers so with good GCSEs and hopefully a good go at the GAT, she may have a chance.. you just don't know. With good grades she will have plenty of offers from the 4 other unis on the UCAS form - where is she looking at?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Nottingham (AAB), Durham (A*AA), UCL(AAA), Exeter(AAB)..

It will be probably be Durham and Nottingham as insurance if she fails Oxford. A good spread of A level grades to ensure a reasonable option for something......I think she prefers Nottingham anyway since her brother is there now and visits him often.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Catseye wrote:Are the stated entry A level requirements (A*A A) for Oxford realistically competitive from a high performing school?

My daughter has decided to apply to Oxford (Mansfield College) to read Geography. She got 4x9s and 4 8s and one 7 in her gcse's ..so effectively 8A* and one A in old money. Her predicted A level grades are A*A A or possibly A*A*A after an impending review from a high performing grammar school (AGGS) but her results will be contextualized probably negatively w.r.t to most other state schools.

My question is; if she doesn't manage to up her grade in Geography (of all subjects ) to an A* does she have a realistic competitive chance to apply to Oxford or would we be better off using that uccas slot for another uni? Her GAT (Geography Aptitude Test) is scheduled for the 31st of Oct.
Hi C,

Long time no see or hear.These might be useful if you are not aware of them .

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... y_admissio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.mansfield.ox.ac.uk/sites/ww ... 202018.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Q
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

GAT is on 30th October.

And thanks quasimodo for very useful links.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Catseye wrote:Are the stated entry A level requirements (A*A A) for Oxford realistically competitive from a high performing school?

I would say your DD should apply to Oxford since she got good GCSEs and has the require predicted A level grades.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Thank you all for taking out the time to reply and my apologies for not replying back sooner.

Hi, Quasi, indeed a long time and no speak and thank you for your detailed research, how kind of you. Tiff thanks for the correction...I seem to have Brexit No Event Day on my mind recently :oops:

Ta, tabasco for your encouraging words and may your life be forever spicy :o

Anyway, my DDs predicted grade has been upped to A*A*A after having to submit 4 advanced essays in 48 hours and her mock/past aptitude entrance tests have been good placing her in the top 25% of past applicants.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now