Your son’s level if he only meets Greenshaw’s standard?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumoftwo2000

Your son’s level if he only meets Greenshaw’s standard?

Post by mumoftwo2000 »

So the result came today, and my son only meets Greenshaw’s selective standard, and has not qualified for second stage at other schools.

May I ask this question: Given the result, can we guess, to some extent, if he may still qualify for other top grammar schools? Or it is a reality check for us?
My sincere thanks,
Bluearrow

Re: Your son’s level if he only meets Greenshaw’s standard?

Post by Bluearrow »

mumoftwo2000 wrote:So the result came today, and my son only meets Greenshaw’s selective standard, and has not qualified for second stage at other schools.

May I ask this question: Given the result, can we guess, to some extent, if he may still qualify for other top grammar schools? Or it is a reality check for us?
My sincere thanks,
Does your email say the minimum pass score for boys' grammar schools? It was 214 for the last two years. This year's score for Greenshaw is 199.5. So your son's score should be between these two, which should be slightly above average in the cohort (depends on his actual score).

Hope this would help.
mumoftwo2000

Post by mumoftwo2000 »

To Bluearrow: Your information is very helpful. The letter I received did not say the exact score. But based on your info, I understand it better.

Regards,
Bluearrow

Post by Bluearrow »

mumoftwo2000 wrote:To Bluearrow: Your information is very helpful. The letter I received did not say the exact score. But based on your info, I understand it better.

Regards,
You are welcome. Assuming this year's score is also 214, your son should be anywhere between the top 35%-50%.
Javster

Post by Javster »

Hi,

My DS also got Greenshaw, but didn't get the marks to score for the other Boys schools or for Stage 2. Is there any way of appealing, or enquiring about the score to know if it's worth an appeal please? My thinking is, if he was borderline for Wallington Boys, maybe an appeal is worth it, but he was way off, then we leave it alone.

Many thanks
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It will probably say on the local authority or school website whether they will allow a re-mark. This seldom, if ever changes the score as they are usually marked by machine.

You can't appeal for a particular school until you have applied and been turned down next March. At the moment you haven't applied to any schools.
scary mum
mumoftwo2000

Post by mumoftwo2000 »

For me, I will not appeal and will just have to wait for another three weeks before the result at another school becomes available. It will be a tiring and stressful period for me.
Javster

Post by Javster »

Thank you all for your replies and advise
drona

Post by drona »

I had the same question re my daughter :oops: The emails gives no information other than met standard for Greenshaw's and not for the other two schools. What was the cut-off for girls and what does it take to get into Greenshaw's.
Bluearrow

Post by Bluearrow »

drona wrote:I had the same question re my daughter :oops: The emails gives no information other than met standard for Greenshaw's and not for the other two schools. What was the cut-off for girls and what does it take to get into Greenshaw's.
Her score should be between 199.5 (Greenshaw's cut-off score) and 209 (for the other two girls' schools).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now