Kent Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
slim76

Kent Test

Post by slim76 »

How did everyone's dd's find the Kent Test? Did they feel it went well? Did they answer all questions on time etc. My ds took the exam on Thursday and it would be nice to hear how other children found it. He did manage to answer all questions on time but even during practice papers at home he was always quite confident and then his score would be low, so it doesn't necessarily fill me with much confidence lol. He did say however that many children were crying during the test which is very sad :(
yoyo123

Re: Kent Test

Post by yoyo123 »

A reminder not to include details of the test as there will be late sitters taking the same test.
Thanks
Herewego1

Post by Herewego1 »

Most children I have spoken to found it ok. Easier than mocks they have done. Same with my child. If it was easier I presume the pass mark will be much higher?
Does anyone know what happens for example, if all the maths scores are very high and there is not much difference between children..
Do they then make another paper be the make or break scores?
Sorry.. hope that makes sense..
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The raw marks ever year are standardised. if the test is easier, the raw marks required will be higher.
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Yes, an 'easy' paper most definitely means a high pass mark. Don't forget the Kent Test is designed to find around 20%-25% of entrants selective, so the bar will raise or lower depending on the overall cohort's ability and the standard reached across each paper.
BMF

Post by BMF »

If lots of children have high scores, then the pass mark will be higher. Having said that, I agree that it can be quite hard for 10 year olds to judge how well they did. They obviously mark the answer that they think is correct, but the papers are designed to offer answers that match wrong answers generated by common errors. It looks correct to the kid, but is not actually right.

I think general feedback that I’ve heard is that the maths and English papers were reasonable, but that the reasoning papers were quite hard.

Recently maths pass mark has been 11 or 12 out of 25, English has been 14 or 15 out of 26 and reasoning about 40 out of 80 (although this varies quite a bit by age), so it looks like the papers are normally really very tricky!
tiger22

Post by tiger22 »

BMF wrote:If lots of children have high scores, then the pass mark will be higher. Having said that, I agree that it can be quite hard for 10 year olds to judge how well they did. They obviously mark the answer that they think is correct, but the papers are designed to offer answers that match wrong answers generated by common errors. It looks correct to the kid, but is not actually right.

I think general feedback that I’ve heard is that the maths and English papers were reasonable, but that the reasoning papers were quite hard.

Recently maths pass mark has been 11 or 12 out of 25, English has been 14 or 15 out of 26 and reasoning about 40 out of 80 (although this varies quite a bit by age), so it looks like the papers are normally really very tricky!
This is very interesting and sounds surprisingly low. Can I ask how you are privy to this information? Thanks.
BMF

Post by BMF »

Every year on this forum people post their kids raw scores and standardised scores.
slim76

Post by slim76 »

My ds said he found the english and maths ok and the verbal and spatial harder. Now for the long wait until results day.
Tarangmum

Post by Tarangmum »

my son aswell said the same-Maths and English were easy but Reasoning paper wasnt quite good.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now