2nd Stage preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bear123

2nd Stage preparation

Post by Bear123 »

DD sat the SET yesterday and I'm trying to be positive. I was hoping to help her prepare for the 2nd stage English as the results don't come out until Tuesday 24th with the 2nd stage days later.
Does anyone havens recommendations as to what would be good preparation for the English.
I know it can vary from creative writing to a persuasive letter.
2 years ago it was a persuasive letter. What was last years?

Any advice would be welcomed as we haven't focused on any prep for the 2nd stage as the focus was to get through the SET first.
Even if DD doesn't get through, I know that any writing practice will always benefit her but any preparation i can do with her would be helpful.

Thanking you all in advance.
mp1981

Re: 2nd Stage preparation

Post by mp1981 »

3 years ago it was a story opener and the student had to continue and finish.

Not sure of rules re links etc but search "Creative Writing 11+ textbook" and amazon have a good one called "first past the post" which has a number of different examples, most of which have been used in the past.

See WHSG website for question on the Second Stage Exam

http://www.wallingtongirls.sutton.sch.u ... -Test-2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are links to specimen question s for both English and Maths.
sweetnhappy1

Post by sweetnhappy1 »

Just asked my daughter. Last year it was something like: write a newspaper article or a factfile about a newly discovered creature.

Best of luck with it all!
Irisa

Post by Irisa »

There is only so much one could do when preparing for creative writing task. Looking at suggested topic examples and discussing how to approach this or that topic, preparing a plan for each might help.

My son sat the entrance exam a few years ago. His 2nd stage writing task was a letter about the mutiny on the Bounty. The ironic thing is that he had done exactly that writing topic in preparation previous August, two months before the test, and had no recollection of it. So for him it was writing a completely new piece of work.
KingstonMama

Post by KingstonMama »

I think main tips are read widely and discuss good use of language in what is read. In the test, try not to do anything too complicated with plot or something that will be overly long. Showcase descriptive language and different sentence starters, varied sentence structure, accurate spelling.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

So nobody has any experience of there being open answer comprehension questions in addition to the writing task for the boys’ second exam? I have no idea why I thought there would be, but now can’t seem to shake it! A writing task for the full 40-45 minutes? Thanks all.
Maximillian

Post by Maximillian »

Oneoftwothings wrote:So nobody has any experience of there being open answer comprehension questions in addition to the writing task for the boys’ second exam? I have no idea why I thought there would be, but now can’t seem to shake it! A writing task for the full 40-45 minutes? Thanks all.
Wallington Boys' used to set this kind of paper, but now rely on the SET only.
Bear123

Post by Bear123 »

Thank you all for your replies. They have been really useful.
DD and I have had fun putting our creative juices into practice.
What will be will be.... learning is never wasted.
Good luck to everyone
X
scaredmum

Post by scaredmum »

Thanks for this thread. I'm a little confused about the second stage for Nonsuch/Wallington this Sat. Is it just an essay or do they have a written comprehension piece as well? Thank you and good luck to everyone!
mp1981

Post by mp1981 »

It is maths and English.

Not multiple choice.

English is a creative writing piece. Will be one of the following formats most likely: "Newspaper article", "Factfile", "Persuasuve letter", "Continuation of story", "Picture: describe/write a story about"

I am not sure if they will get a choice of a couple, I don't think they do normally (Wilson's give a choice of 3-4 I think).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now